Create stereo version of mono source

How to use MultiTrack DAW
billpf

Create stereo version of mono source

Post by billpf »

I have been using Multitrack for a while now with excellent results. However I have recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and am now having a problem with my recordings. I am using the FS Solo to input a Shure SM58 into an iPod Pro. The resulting files only seem to have audio on the left side. How do I create a file with audio on both left and right?

Thanks,

Bill
pwnified

Re: Create stereo version of mono source

Post by pwnified »

Use the 'IN' button on the track (next to the Arm button) and use it to select a single channel on the interface. But try it on an empty track because once a track is stereo, the input selector wont show the mono sources.
billpf

Post by billpf »

Hey, thanks for your quick response!

I have followed your instructions and managed to create a track with the mono source appearing on both sides, which is great! The only downside appears to be that unless I go through this process every time I create a new track it defaults back to creating a track with my mono source only on one side. Perhaps it is an adjustment I need to make within the Solo itself?

Anyway, the main thing is that it has solved the problem I was having so thanks again for your help!

Bill
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Ah yes, the default is for tracks to be armed with the first 2 inputs (stereo) if available, and fallback to mono, as there is no way to know if an interface with 2 or more inputs has only one mic plugged in. However, tracks that were previously armed with a specific input will continue to find that input upon re-arm. So you only have to select it once for a track. But I like your idea of a possible default option for new tracks. Thanks for the insight!