Use iCloud to store Files?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Tabbycat

Use iCloud to store Files?

Post by Tabbycat »

I’m running out of space. When my last 128G iPad died, I only had the option of 64G or 256G. Not having ever before used even 64G, I opted for the smaller storage. Of course I now regret this as I’m now downloading tons of multitrack projects.

Isn’t there a way to offload project files (songs) onto iCloud where I have 200G?

Thx
Last edited by Tabbycat on January 20th, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwnified

Re: Use iCloud to store Files?

Post by pwnified »

Use the Files app to move multitrack projects to iCloud. I've thought about making it just use iCloud storage, but decided against it because of the typically large projects and it's easy enough to backup exactly what you want manually. You'll need to move the song project from the 'On my Phone > MultiTrack' folder up a level to the iCloud folder, and then the syncing process will take over.

MultiTrack projects are basically folders, with the package bit set so they appear as single items. You should be able to just drag them back into the shared multitrack Documents folder at any time, to continue working on them.

I'll think more about iCloud, maybe a way of flagging specific songs as stored in the cloud.
Tabbycat

Post by Tabbycat »

I currently have no Multitrack folder on iCloud — do I need to create one?
Also Files only offers to “copy” the file when I select Move.
Don’t want it copied.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Ah yes, you can create any number of folders to better organize your iCloud backups. And yeah, it looks like the Files app is making a copy, so you'll have to delete the source item after the copy. If you are trying to save space, iCloud is also going to keep a local copy in most cases, until you start getting low on space and then it is up to iOS as to when it starts removing local items.
51songs4udis51

Post by 51songs4udis51 »

Been recording all through the pandemic song concepts on my MT DAW for ipad and saving directly on my ipad (10.5" 2018). It died two days ago, and wont power on again (likely a hw issue). I desperately need to regain access to those files. Here are some of the ways I'm exploring. Wonder if anyone here has been in my shoes and can advise.
1. I dont remember if I had turned on the option to back up to icloud in the app settings. Anyone know if backup is turned on by default when you first install the app?

2. Lets say I have the files backed up to icloud, can I restore only the MT DAW data files on another ipad?
3. Can family share help, when I install the app on another device would my data (if stored on icloud) come with?
4. Any other suggestions? Dying here.
5. Any success using data recovery tools like https://www.imyfone.com/iphone-data-recovery/
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

51songs4udis51 wrote: January 26th, 8:59 pm
You're talking about iOS backups. Yes, they contain all the apps userdata including multitrack songs. There is no option to turn them on just for multitrack, it's an iOS setting. To use them you need to 'Restore from backup' which overwrites the whole device. If you get a new device, it's worth trying this. As far as I know, backups in iOS happen by default when you update iOS, and I've seen warnings appear when it hasn't been backed up in a while. Pretty sure they are turned on by default unless you turned them off or ran out of iCloud storage.

You can also get your device repaired, chances are it's a battery or something like that. Probably repairable. But if not, there are other ways to hack the data out depending on how much money you want to spend.

I suggest first visit an Apple store and see what the geniuses say.