I've Updated and a critical feature for me appears to have been changed*Please Help*

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Gigaah

I've Updated and a critical feature for me appears to have been changed*Please Help*

Post by Gigaah »

Can anyone PLEASE help me. I updated MultiTrack. Which I've loved loved to death for years. Now a "feature?" has changed and I'm PRAYING there is an option to change it back or something similar.

When I am chopping up, moving around, and "realigning" beats or any old stuff. In the past, I would slice and move a chunk over..or paste in a modified bit to replace the original. When doing this, in order to ensure these pasted or moved sections are in the right spot..in sync etc. What I would do is tap edit on either section of music that is on the same track and drag *the length* of it back out (because it was always clipped from a larger orginal piece) over the section I want to ensure it is aligned properly with, visually align the overlapping wave forms, then just shrink the section back to its proper size.

The problem I am having now is that when you paste new sections into a track, or re/unclip them. It does not show the wave form you are currently overlapping while editing the length. So I cannot use the ghost of the wave forms to align things any more. I hope this is making sense. I REALLY REALLY need this feature back. It is absolutely critical when I am making non vocal backing tracks to be able to have the existing wave form still showing under the wave form I am currently trying to edit/move.

I love this piece of software and I've been using it for probably 7 years if I had to guess. However if I can't get this functionality/feature back. I don't think I can use it any more for what I do and I'll have to go hunting for something else.

πŸ™Please HelpπŸ™
pwnified

Re: I've Updated and a critical feature for me appears to have been changed*Please Help*

Post by pwnified »

Hi Gigaah,

Hmm, if Snap is on in the Menu, it should still snap to the old regions points even though it's not drawing the old region at the old position. In other words, it's the same behavior except for the drawing. Hope this helps.
Gigaah

Re: I've Updated and a critical feature for me appears to have been changed*Please Help*

Post by Gigaah »

That's not the same thing I need. I need to be able to visually align overlapping waveforms. I do this at full wave form zoom and It's QUITE often the only way to splice in alterations precisely enough to not cause some sort of artifact. I know snap. Love it, use it all the time but it isn't a player here. That feature is also often the only thing allowing me to effectively do "micro surgery" by hand on audio.

Is this "feature" or functionality gone?
If so, can it come back?

If not, can anyone tell me the last version that still worked that way?

Hell, I'd pay $50 cash money just to get that feature back. Without it, this App is no longer useful enough to keep using. Despite how much I've enjoyed using it and everything else it does so simply and quickly. THAT was the stand out feature to me. High level wave form view/Zoom in and being able to visually align wave forms by overlapping them. ESPECIALLY when the wave forms are not identical.

It was a standout feature I wasn't able to readily find..let alone in a way that is quick and easy. Making those sorts of patch ins by ear...when it's more a one off thing..becomes so timing consuming and error prone that it no longer makes sense to even try. #oppinion
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I think I understand what your saying. Yes, I can see how viewing the underlying waveform helps with alignment in these cases. I see what I can do. Part of the new behavior is the audio during playback is now monitoring the currently editing waveforms, it needed this because of the new region volume control. So it needed to monitor the editing regions and not the old regions. To avoid confusion, it stops drawing the old regions. It might be possible to draw the old regions in another color or fade them though. I'll have to think about this more. Thanks for the interest and thanks for the request!
Gigaah

Post by Gigaah »

I truly appreciate you at least giving it a look into. At the basic level I understand what happened there. I had figured it had something to do with the some of the new functionality that was added. I do like the changes to per region volume adjustment. That added feature and many of the others are fantastic! This app is has always been a well thought out blend of simplicity and usability. It's fast but doesn't lack the power or features that simple to pick up and start using apps often do. I can't even count any more the number of non-audio type average Joe's I've had download the app. With a one or two short slap dash, homestyle, screen recorded "how to" videos. They are up making good use of it. That's not something you can do with 99% of audio apps...well the ones that are more than just children's toys anyhow.

I appreciate your constant upkeep and continued improvement of this App. I don't even remember how much I paid years back, or what you charge for for the app currently, or how much I paid for all the IAP. However, without hesitation I can say it worth double that.🀘

If the issue with "my feature" (lol) can't be fixed at some point. I'll probably see how far down the rabbit hole I have to go to manage back dating versions. Even as much mucking around as that'll be, it'll probably be less work and trouble than finding a suitable alternative. Haha.

𝒯𝒽𝒢𝓃𝓀 𝒴oπ“Š Again for at least considering/looking into some sort of fix or on/off switch for my problem.

Arick Lee d'Entremont
Gigaah

Post by Gigaah »

Ahh I see what's Better what you mean now/why it works differently now. It is now in real time re-adjusting the draw of zone states that are not selected currently for editing... but will be impacted by the current edit to the zone actively being edited. I can understand why that change makes good sense to for the high majority if I had to guess. Hopefully a compromise/change can be found that makes enough sense to impliment it.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes, the idea was for the visual to exactly match the audio at all times. But you are right, seeing the region through the other a very useful feature. So, I've implemented the feature on the Version 6 branch, it should be on the App Store shortly. MultiTrack 6.3.6 will now draw the original regions in a lighter color, which can be seen through the currently editing 'ghost' regions. Also, any region not being edited will turn to this lighter color when the ghost regions are hovered over them instead of disappearing. So, it should help for alignment. I think it's the best of both worlds

Thanks again for the request and your persistence!
Gigaah

Post by Gigaah »

Perfect! I just updated and that solution is exactly what I needed to fix m up. Just in time too. Just today I was asked if I was able to make an instrumental version of a track that sounds 100% identical to the orginal and keeps mirror perfect in sync timewise end to end.

So straight up vocal removal or recreation are not good options..at least alone. So I'll have to do a lot of tedious clipping, stitching, and looping from the original where there are salvageable sections of the music w/o vocals and probably blending it in with the bits while having to make sure it's all dead in sync to the original.

𝒯𝒽𝒢𝓃𝓀 𝒴oπ“Š Sooooo much for fixing back up my favorite audio tool for this type of operation. I'd not be able to do that sort of thing without it🀘

Arick Lee d'Entremont
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Excellent. I released the feature with a minimal of testing so thanks for confirming that. It seemed to be a low risk feature in terms of possible bugs. I just dogfooded it a bunch, ran a profile, and Apple approved it in record time.
Gigaah

Post by Gigaah »

πŸ˜‚ Well I'll surely ring your bell if any bad quirks pop up from it🀘