More precision with metronome

New Features and requests for new features
JonnyCube

More precision with metronome

Post by JonnyCube »

Any plans to allow metronome values with decimal places? A lot of songs don't use an exact integer value, and when I import them from the iPod the measures don't match the beats more and more as the song goes on.
pwnified

Re: More precision with metronome

Post by pwnified »

I think I decided not to have decimals in the metronome because you would actually need a lot of precision to beatmatch an entire song. The other reason was that most typical songs usually change tempo at some point anyway. Also if you recorded an entire song at, say, 92.37 and then accidentally changed it, it would be almost impossible to get back to the original tempo without some kind of memory for each song. So to make things easy I just went with integer values, like Garageband.

Nothing is set in stone, though, as long as the system is easy to use.
JonnyCube

Re: More precision with metronome

Post by JonnyCube »

I understand and am totally on board with trying to keep things simple and easy to use. If you ever did want to allow decimal places, you could stick an "allow decimal values" in the iPad settings somewhere. It would be invisible to most users, but would make weird people like me happy.

But if most people don't care about it, I understand that you have more important features to spend your time on. I have almost no understanding of programming, and to me it seems like it would be a simple switch to allow decimal values.

I've had success beat matching entire songs with MultiTrack. Maybe I misunderstand you when you say most songs change tempo - almost nothing on the radio does (except Imma Be, which is unusual precisely because it does). Then I can paste them into Looptastic and remix them, which is really cool. It's just sad that most songs don't work, though, because while they have a constant tempo, it's not based on an integer. It'll be smooth sailing for a few measures, and then the beat gets lost.