Export song with different o/p level.

How to use MultiTrack DAW
TimRyland

Export song with different o/p level.

Post by TimRyland »

When I export a song am I correct in thinking the OUT fader has no effect on the o/p level. Is it always output at 0db. What I would like to do is export with say -5db to give me a bit of headroom when mastering.

Hope this makes sense.
pwnified

Re: Export song with different o/p level.

Post by pwnified »

Yes that's right, the output will be normalized to -0.5 dB below full scale and the main out wont affect the export. This was because certain audio sharing websites that do format conversion might clip if it's -0.0 FS. I didn't think of a need to make it adjustable since a remastering would adjust the volume anyway. Do you have a scenario for making this a variable?
TimRyland

Post by TimRyland »

It was really for when I transfer it into Final Touch for Mastering. It would be nice to have a bit more headroom to play with. Currently after exporting I copy it into Garageband, drop it by around 5db, then export into Final Touch.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

So that mastering app doesn't have input gain? I can't seem to find it on the app store.
TimRyland

Post by TimRyland »

Yes, it does. Hadn’t thought of that. I’m really just following someone else’s workflow. It’s a bit of a learning curve for me.

Your right, I couldn’t find it on the app store. I’m wondering if Positive Grid don’t want to support it anymore, they seem to have a habit of doing that.

Thanks, anyway,
Tim.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Oh excellent!

I found this, it's at end of support and is being retired:
https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/ ... inal-Touch

Too bad. They're telling you to not upgrade iOS if you want to keep using it, lol.

You might try seeing if it works as a mastering fx in multitrack directly, that would avoid the last conversion. If you go to OUT button -> Main FX -> AU/IAA tab and try adding it as a plugin. If it's an AU, it should even retain its settings when reopening the project. Unfortunately IAA plugins won't retain settings. Hope this helps