A few questions

New Features and requests for new features
tomford

A few questions

Post by tomford »

Hi, I just ran into this app and I would like to know more about the supported input devices (as stated on iTunes) and I cannot seem to find the supported devices. I apologize if I somehow overlooked it, but I have been looking at so many apps recently I'm kind of overloaded. I'm hoping this app supports midi via USB through the camera kit or maybe the line 6 midi mobilizer (mostly just for triggering start and stop and bpm sync). Does the iRig work with this app?

Also I am interested in some of the specifics for audio copy and paste with this app. I'm a hardcore audio geek and I would like to know some very specific things if anyone can help me, I might consider this app.

What is the closest I can zoom in on the wave form?
What is the smallest selection that can be made and cut, copied or pasted within the app?
Can multiple unique samples be pasted to a single track? If so, how many unique samples may be pasted per track?
how many unique samples may be pasted into multitrack daw?
What is the longest sample that may be pasted into multitrack daw?
What is the longest song length that can be made with this app?
dominicperry

Re: A few questions

Post by dominicperry »

There's a thread in the Help Forum (which is where this one should be too), called "Input options and microphones" which will tell you everything you wanted to know, and much you didn't, about supported input devices.
No midi support at the moment.
Do a search for iRig, you'll turn up plenty of results.
Audio copy and paste is the subject of many threads - do a search - most of the limitations are Apple's fault rather than the developer's. I believe that there are two 'standard' approaches, Intua being one, can't remember the name of the other, which are supported.
The closest you can zoom in is a tenth of a second across the whole iPhone screen. I don't know if the iPad resolution is different.
Can't tell what the smallest section for trimming is - I tried less than .1 of a second and the final region disappeared. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't think that detailed editing is the strength of this app, it's not what it was designed for.
You can shift multiple regions onto a single track. No idea what the limit is.
I believe the longest song length is determined by memory constraints. I don't believe it suffers from the 2GB limit seen in Windows devices.

Dominic
tomford

Post by tomford »

Thanks for the response, but more important than any other feature I need to know how many unique samples may be pasted per track and per song. If I cannot do fine editing in this app that is not vital but slightly important, but my needs are the ability to add high numbers of unique samples at a millisecond level to compensate for the lack of fine adjustments all my other apps cannot do. Insert silence to the millisecond level, also can be a work around in my experiences,.. If this has insert silence to the millisecond level it might be a solution. Obviously I would like to use this for mixing down tracks but I feel limited by most apps only being able to reach 240bpms (apart from sunvox and maybe nano loop) and at most can only reach 64 notes per measure (ie beat maker...however sunvox and nanoloop that limit does not really apply, but sunvox and nano loop do not have audio copy and paste). copy and pasting smaller segments into a daw or sound editor has always been a way around the limitation low BPMs or lack anything below 128 notes per measure (at around 240 BPMs). I am just hoping this might be the app that solves my issues.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

A region is limited to 1024 samples minimum, and will just disappear if you try to make it smaller, like dominicperry says. You could only get about 44 of these into a second maximum, on a single track. But it might be possible to stagger the regions on separate tracks though. MultiTrack does provide millisecond control of the position of the regions.

There is a 2 hour soft limit on song length, but this limit seems reasonable because a song 2 hours long would be using a massive about of space. There is a hidden cache track which runs the length of the song and uses 2x a standard wav size. So MultiTrack is really intended for shorter song lengths with many tracks in parallel.

There are no limits on number of regions, etc., but if it runs out of memory you might loose your work so I'd hate to tell you a number that didn't work. It would most likely depend on the devices memory and what else is running in the background. I've added over 500 regions to a song, but saving the song started to become a little sluggish.
tomford

Post by tomford »

pwnified wrote:A region is limited to 1024 samples minimum, and will just disappear if you try to make it smaller, like dominicperry says. You could only get about 44 of these into a second maximum, on a single track. But it might be possible to stagger the regions on separate tracks though. MultiTrack does provide millisecond control of the position of the regions.
Yeah I plan on using a stagger technique, but I will not be adding a lot samples for long durations. Maybe like 50 - 100 unique samples stung together within about 20 or so seconds... Then just mix to a new sample when I am happy with a loop to use in an actual track.
pwnified wrote:There is a 2 hour soft limit on song length, but this limit seems reasonable because a song 2 hours long would be using a massive about of space. There is a hidden cache track which runs the length of the song and uses 2x a standard wav size. So MultiTrack is really intended for shorter song lengths with many tracks in parallel.
I don't write much of anything over 4 or 5 mins when I am using a mobile device anyway, so that's fine.
pwnified wrote:There are no limits on number of regions, etc., but if it runs out of memory you might loose your work so I'd hate to tell you a number that didn't work. It would most likely depend on the devices memory and what else is running in the background. I've added over 500 regions to a song, but saving the song started to become a little sluggish.
Many of my issues are solveable with an insert silence and/or convert audio to silence feature. Does this app have any insert silence feature, or maybe the option turn up and down audio levels to zero with any sort of preciseness?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

A way to insert silence (or cut out a hole in a region) is to use the punch in and out markers, and then record over the markers, which leaves a new region in place its place. Then deleting the new region which leaves the hole. It's possible, but not ideal.
tomford

Post by tomford »

I broke down and bought it. It seems like its the most impressive DAW for iPhone that is currently available. My issue right now is, after pasting several audio clips to the track, the clips are not visible until I play the track accept for the first clip. Also, after moving a clip it occasionally disappears. I am using small segments (5 - 10 seconds max) and over all not many audio clips in the track (maybe 10 at most). Any ideas as to why this is happening?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

That's strange, but I've heard of a similar bug of regions being locked after pasting. I can't seem to reproduce this. Did a warning ever popup "converting stereo to mono" or "converting mono to stereo"?
tomford

Post by tomford »

pwnified wrote:That's strange, but I've heard of a similar bug of regions being locked after pasting. I can't seem to reproduce this. Did a warning ever popup "converting stereo to mono" or "converting mono to stereo"?
No nothing like that. I could try to record it if it helps.