Re: Apple iPad and MultiTrack

Post by pwnified »

Looks like Thinkgeek has them in stock

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mu ... /?cpg=134H

Did you get yours yet?
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

Mine arrived from the company last week. I haven't had much time to use it but here are my initial impressions.

1. The built-in guitar sounds are pretty good but I have my real guitars, so this is not too important to me. Some of the synth sounds are good and you can layer a guitar and a synth.

2. The USB output only sends MIDI data, so dreams of plugging this into the camera connection kit and inputting audio to the iPad are dashed. I ordered an M-Audio MobilePre today, so I have the option of plugging the audio output into the MobilePre's instrument input.

3. The MIDI controller aspect of the YRG is significant in my book. I think I will have to loosen the strings on the body (the neck has the "strings" built-in) as there is too much rigidity when picking. However, there is really NO latency and misfiring. I had a Roland MIDI guitar module and pickup that was a nighmare. I have played some piano, strings, and horn parts into Logic and I am amazed at how well the guitar tracks. The company is going to release control panel software soon, where I think you may be able to set velocity curves and such.

4. They included about 50 tunings, which is cool, including virtual capo's on different frets.

5. I am not a gamer so that part of the guitar is dead to me.

Musicians who have been looking for a great MIDI guitar controller should check it out. There is a MIDI output jack as well as the USB connection. At $200 this was a no-brainer for me. I may buy a headstock for it, as it is weird not to have one for a point of reference and for feel. The neck pops off, so the unit is very portable.

Finally, the people making the guitar have great credentials. I talked to Doug Morton, who ran Q Up Arts sample company, and developed the sounds for YRG, and to one of the other developers two weeks ago. They are very approachable. Whether there is a big enough market for the guitar is an open question in my book. The mass audience, Guitar Hero users, is what will make the company profitable but the Facebook page for YRG has posts mostly from musicians who are loving the MIDI and the sampled sounds.

Fred
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Too bad it looks like a toy. Does it feel like plastic the way it looks? Might be possible to retrofit into a regular guitar body. If it can broadcast midi data over Wifi, it's possible it could work with MultiTrack some day.

When I play a guitar I tend to bend the crap out of the strings just by instinct. Can you bend the strings on the YouRock?
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

The body is plastic but it is solid--I don't think it would break too easily. You can't bend strings because the strings are embedded on the neck--I haven't tried all the guitar sounds yet--not sure if any are set up to "bend" when more pressure is applied.