Apple iPad and MultiTrack

New Features and requests for new features
MusicMagic

Apple iPad and MultiTrack

Post by MusicMagic »

Well, the rumors are now news . . . Apple has introduced its long-rumored tablet device, the iPad, with its 9.7 inch touch-screen interface. Runs all App Store apps right out of the box, either in iPhone dimensions, or in a 2x version. Has a thirty-pin interface. However, I do not know if an additional audio input port is available. I was, of course, wondering if MultiTrack will be developed for the iPad. Applications can be written to take full advantage of the screen real estate. Apple is releasing an SDK kit now for the iPad. Just curious what your thoughts would be.
pwnified

Re: Apple iPad and MultiTrack

Post by pwnified »

Still trying to find specs on the audio, but it looks good so far! MultiTrack could easily be expanded to have more tracks viewed at once.
MusicMagic

Post by MusicMagic »

So good to hear initial enthusiasm on the prospect. Screen real estate was my immediate first thought. Plus, you have some interface innovations that become even more useful in this prospective format, and a more powerful processor to boot--the Apple A4 chip.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

The developer of this iPhone mixing control surface will surely like the increased screen real estate on the iPad: http://colinmorrison.cwahi.net/Saitara_ ... /Home.html

I got it on Saturday and set it up in Logic in about 30 seconds. It is very cool.

Fred
project52

Post by project52 »

Whoa! I was thinking the same thing for iTouchMIDI. Another DAW controller that I had up and running with Reaper. I just downloaded the AC-7. I'm pumped to check it out. Yeah, the iPad has certainly peaked my interest a bit, but I may wait for v2.0 so that the bugs are all worked out (assuming there are any). Think about how big a jump it was from iPhone 1.0 to 2.0. Plus, can't carry the pad in my pocket...and then there's the name.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I think I will wait as well, but its seductive look might tempt me... I am sure Jobs has a master plan for adding features in the coming years.

Have you tried the keyboard app from the developer of the AC-7? I got it as well on Saturday and had a blast calling up sounds in Logic, putting midi into record, and then playing solo string and horn lines with the iPhone. It has pitch bend and modulation. BTW, I have on pre-order a new MIDI guitar controller that is meant for both the Rock Band crowd and musicians. http://www.yourockguitar.com/ I gave up on my Roland box years ago--too glitchy. Watch one of the videos--no latency, as the "strings" are built into the instrument. At $180 I thought it would be worth trying. It's supposed to start shipping next week.

Fred
CLVannoy

Post by CLVannoy »

fgrittner wrote:I think I will wait as well, but its seductive look might tempt me... I am sure Jobs has a master plan for adding features in the coming years.

Have you tried the keyboard app from the developer of the AC-7? I got it as well on Saturday and had a blast calling up sounds in Logic, putting midi into record, and then playing solo string and horn lines with the iPhone. It has pitch bend and modulation. BTW, I have on pre-order a new MIDI guitar controller that is meant for both the Rock Band crowd and musicians. http://www.yourockguitar.com/ I gave up on my Roland box years ago--too glitchy. Watch one of the videos--no latency, as the "strings" are built into the instrument. At $180 I thought it would be worth trying. It's supposed to start shipping next week.

Fred
that guitar is pretty crazy definitely cool for the kids to help bridge that gap..... its still not adequate enough to be used for a proper learning tool ( like how to determine what fret to use to actually play the song) but the idea is there and i like it....cool find fred
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Reminds me of that synthaxe thing that Alan Holdsworth used to play, with the two sets of strings, and frets using electrical contact with strings. Looks pretty awesome, let us know how it works.
aliahlewis

Post by aliahlewis »

I was wondering should I buy the iPad or not but I think I am quite satisfied with iPad after reading these reviews. So I am looking forward to buy it and have personal experience of it.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

The You Rock guitar is supposed to start shipping at the end of May. Lots of delays--hopefully the company is telling the truth this time.