fgrittner

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by fgrittner »

The Harmony Central video wasn't much. Here is an HD Alesis video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nc7vvxIhn0
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

gmanni wrote:so first question would be if anyone has tried the Belkin TuneTalk with an iphone and if it works as line in.
the other question would be if anyone has tried to build successfully a line in dock connector.
again on the web I can only find ipod stuff but never mentioned the iphone.
Yes, the Belkin Tunetalk works with iPhone 3GS and earlier as well as the iPod touches (3rd gen and earlier) see first post in this thread, the line in is working fine although you need a strong line in signal (a mixing board should be more than enough). Recommended unless you really like soldering irons :)
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

fgrittner wrote:The Harmony Central video wasn't much. Here is an HD Alesis video:
A very sweet looking product, I can't wait to see what Alesis has in mind for the iPhone 4.
outbackyak

Post by outbackyak »

fgrittner wrote:The Harmony Central video wasn't much. Here is an HD Alesis video:
It looks very nice, with all the features I need, but I see he didn't mention battery power, and I couldn't see any panel for batteries on the base of the dock. You're certain that the Harmony Central vid said it could be battery powered? Or do they mean an external battery plugged into the power port?
beyond

Post by beyond »

An Alesis rep says in this vid that the studio dock will charge your iPad when on AC power, but also runs on batteries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di43iqOM ... re=related

That would be sweet -- true connectivity AND mobility! :mrgreen:
outbackyak

Post by outbackyak »

I'm hoping she knows what she was talking about - I can't say she inspired me with trust in her technical abilities. :lol:

I emailed Alesis to ask about whether it had battery power and they would neither confirm nor deny, as it has yet to be officially released for sale.

I'm wondering also about it's weight and portability - it must bring it up to around the same as a smallish laptop. Fully integrated though, which you can't say for a laptop.
Erik dP

Post by Erik dP »

Pro microphone works with Ipod with a 1kohm resistor at startup of app.

I have just bought an Ipod 2:nd gen for the flat frequency response of the headphone jack input. I guess this will work also for Iphone and Ipad and non-2:nd gen Ipod, but with no low end, as e.g. Ipad cuts all below 150kHz. See link or graph at the end of this post:
http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/ip ... -response/

The reason is of cause this multitrack software that I havn't bought yet. I hope that this 2:nd gen Ipod will work just as well as later generations Ipods. Also for future updates and number of tracks.

Anyway:

I tried to connect a Shure SM57 dynamic mic using an AV-breakout cable from an old DV-cam. It has a "Ipod" headphone connector with four segments in one end, and three connectors in the other end (red + white +yellow). The red is connected to the two "mic connectors" of the ipod jack, i.e. 3rd and 4th segment counting from the tip. The other two is stereo headphone (tip and "next to tip" = R / L). All use common ground (the third segment from tip).

This breakout cable doesn't work by itself with the Ipod. I searched on the internet and couldn't find a solution. It seemed that Apple blocked third party michrophones (with later OS?). However, I found some info that there is ~ 2.8 V phantom power for a special kind of mic Apple use. With no proper mic detected phantom is turned off.

I guessed that this power also is used for actually measuring and detecting an Apple mic.

So. Instead for the SM57 I connected a 1kohm in its place, and this turned on the Ipod mic input. (I just guessed 1k as a saw something about the dock using this value to recognize the dock, or something like that).

I then removed the 1k ohm resistor and plugged in the SM57 which works fine with e.g. Amlitube. It seems like the mic detection is only done at the startup of the app. Now the phantom power is on.

I also read that 1 uF can be put serial to the mic, which I did. I guess that this could save some battery time in the Ipod. I don't know why else, or if the frequency respons in the low end would suffer. Anybody?

So my home made gadget:

1 kohm in parallell closest to the Ipod - with a on/off switch, as the sound seems a bit louder without 1kohm at operation.

1 uF i series with the mic, closest to the mic. Measure that the polarity is correct. I measured the common ground to be "-" (minus). So turn the "-" lable of the capacitor in this direction of the cord. It doesn't matter what side of the mic.

The usual disclamer:
Make this gadget on your own risk. Even though you won't blow up your Ipod/Iphone/Ipad you might hurt yourself or your equipment on the hot soldering iron.

pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I wouldn't recommend using older devices just for the flat response on the headset input. In general it's not a very good way to get audio into the device, and also the older devices won't be compatible with multiTracks features as they come out (such as effects and the higher processing requirements). On these devices, the doc connector is always a better way to get audio in and out, flatter frequency response, more dynamic range, and stereo as opposed to mono). So at least a 3GS or a 3rd gen iPod is recommended, along with a doc connector mic.

When you start talking about the new devices (iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th gen), all bets are off, because these devices lack the audio input on the doc connector. At some point, we will start seeing microphones for these devices, designed to take advantage of the digital (USB) pins on the doc connector, which should allow stereo in/out and the DAC will be on the external audio device. (Similar capabilities as the iPad with a Camera Connection Kit)

But if you really want to make cables, check out page 6 of this topic.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The Samson Meteor Mic, available April 15th: http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod ... rodID=2065
;-)
Keith

Post by Keith »

[quote="pwnified"]When you start talking about the new devices (iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th gen), all bets are off, because these devices lack the audio input on the doc connector. At some point, we will start seeing microphones for these devices, designed to take advantage of the digital (USB) pins on the doc connector, which should allow stereo in/out and the DAC will be on the external audio device. (Similar capabilities as the iPad with a Camera Connection Kit)[quote]

Is that wishful thinking or do you know something?