Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jorgren

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by jorgren »

IK, what does the feedback control do? Is it a software setting for your virtual effects units, or does it do something to the iRig circuitry?

Monitorman, thanks for the specifics on device selection. Just curious - why do you want to monitor through a speaker that's almost inaudible anyway?
monitorman

Post by monitorman »

jorgren wrote:Monitorman, thanks for the specifics on device selection. Just curious - why do you want to monitor through a speaker that's almost inaudible anyway?
hi jorgren, I write music and create sound design for iPhone games. I need to test everything I create on the iPhone playback system, which presents the audio quite differently than my full-range studio monitors. I often end up making changes to the audio based on what I hear through the iPhone earbuds and/or speaker. At this point I have to review the audio, make notes, make best-guess changes, re-render, reload the audio, listen again, take more notes, more changes, etc., etc. If I could live monitor through the iPhone/iPod, I could get everything right the first time, which would be awesome! If it's technically possible to live monitor through an iPhone/iPod, I'd consider hiring a programmer to create a custom app for me so I can do this. I bet I'm not the only composer/developer who could make use of such an app. Could be a opportunity for a programmer.
Last edited by monitorman on July 20th, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Well I've played around with my new iRig for a few days and I think it has it's place but IMO, it's not suitable for use with MultiTrack Daw. I'm getting way too much crosstalk. :cry: For instance, when recording a track to metronome, the metronome clicks can be heard in the recorded track (along with anything else I monitor while recording. So.... I'm thinking about building my own breakout connector to dock with my iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

I've found plenty of information on the internet regarding pin-out connections and what must be connected where. I've also found some nice looking breakout connectors to get the job done. My concern is this, will the iPod recognize the DIY interface as simple line in and out connections and route the signal accordingly? Or would such a devcie require drivers?

I guess I should also ask if anyone knows whether this would eliminate crosstalk issues.

Regards,
Angelo
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I don't have one yet to test with, can someone else confirm? Is this a single bad unit or do they all have crosstalk?
lostlogik

Post by lostlogik »

Admittedly I've not used it extensively but from what I've done with it, I've not noticed any crosstalk but then I've not recorded to metronome. One thing I have found is that it doesn't give a very good accoustic result (I use an Avalaon Premier) and the resulting recording sounds more of an electric guitar. But I haven't really done it much justice yet and need to play some more. But it does come in clean.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

monitorman wrote:If I could live monitor through the iPhone/iPod, I could get everything right the first time, which would be awesome! If it's technically possible to live monitor through an iPhone/iPod, I'd consider hiring a programmer to create a custom app for me so I can do this. I bet I'm not the only composer/developer who could make use of such and app. Could be a opportunity for a programmer.
Well it's not possible to split the audio IO, but input doesn't necessarily have to come from the audio IO system. You could send audio over the network, build an app that simply monitors a network stream and plays the sound over the internal speaker. Hell you could probably just use an Internet radio streaming app, and connect it to a stream that you are broadcasting from your computer.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I've used the iRig on two songs and am extremely happy with the results. I used it for electric guitar and hooked up an old Rat distortion box and an even older Boss compressor/sustainer. I had great tone, punch, and no latency to speak of. I also used he iRig for a bass track and got the deep tones for which I was looking. I used a Fender Stratocaster and a Fender Precision bass. I did not use the metronome, but pasted drums from DrumTrack8, recorded an acoustic guitar and three vocals each recorded with the earbud mic that came with the iPod touch. All of this has provided sound light years beyond what I expected. My only gripe is the earbud mic. It records great, but can be awkward when monitoring recorded tracks while simultaneously recording an acoustic guitar. So far, I'm digging the iRig. I just need to get my hands on a 1/4 inch microphone jack for my Shure mic to see if I can record with that.
IK Multimedia

Post by IK Multimedia »

Angelo wrote:Well I've played around with my new iRig for a few days and I think it has it's place but IMO, it's not suitable for use with MultiTrack Daw. I'm getting way too much crosstalk. :cry: For instance, when recording a track to metronome, the metronome clicks can be heard in the recorded track (along with anything else I monitor while recording. So.... I'm thinking about building my own breakout connector to dock with my iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

I've found plenty of information on the internet regarding pin-out connections and what must be connected where. I've also found some nice looking breakout connectors to get the job done. My concern is this, will the iPod recognize the DIY interface as simple line in and out connections and route the signal accordingly? Or would such a devcie require drivers?

I guess I should also ask if anyone knows whether this would eliminate crosstalk issues.

Regards,
Angelo
You shouldn't get that much crosstalk. We do take care of it with a combination of software and hardware. Making your own should also make sure to do impedance matching if you are using it as a guitar input. Experiment with the feedback control settings. If you have more issues definitely report them so the support folks can get them resolved: http://bit.ly/irigsupport
monitorman

Post by monitorman »

pwnified wrote:Well it's not possible to split the audio IO, but input doesn't necessarily have to come from the audio IO system. You could send audio over the network, build an app that simply monitors a network stream and plays the sound over the internal speaker. Hell you could probably just use an Internet radio streaming app, and connect it to a stream that you are broadcasting from your computer.
Nice! Now THAT's ingenuity. I guess there's some hope yet. Thanks pwnified, I'll look into your idea.
arras

Post by arras »

I assume that the Line 6 Pod product can be used with DAW? If I am using the 1/8" connector into the headphone jack, how do I disable the microphone on the iphone?