Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jorgren

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by jorgren »

I have purchased the KV cable and can't recommend it, especially not for a Shure SM57. You will need some gain and DC isolation to use a dynamic mic on the earbud mic port. You could consider one of the mics meant for the iPxxx platforms, such as Blue Mikey or TuneTalk (note: these won't work on iPad or iPhone 4). You could also try the iRig, which provides some gain and isolation; I don't have specific reports on using it with a dynamic mic though.

By the way, what I did with my KV cable is cut it up and add an active circuit so it's much like the iRig now.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

FYI, Blue started shipping the Mikey 2 on Friday. Amazon lists it for $80. And of course, it doesn't work on the iPad or iPhone 4.
LoveChild

Post by LoveChild »

Hello all,

With regards to iPhone 4... Has anyone been able to establish what if any external hardware will facilitate the ability to record stereo input? Is there anything out there or rumored to come? Currently I am collapsing my stereo input from my Line6, Roland TD-12 and Digitech vocal processor to an ART tube preamp outputted to a PRS cable (which is mono) to the iPhone 4 headphone/mic jack... and this works decently but nothing near the quality I would have if the stereo signal was maintained. Any ideas or suggestions out there? Am really digging DAW Multitrack... Thanks! :D
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Dominicperry posted that Studio Six Digital says they are working on an iPhone4 interface. I'm sure Apple is already hard at work on plans to make it obsolete.
LoveChild

Post by LoveChild »

jorgren wrote:Dominicperry posted that Studio Six Digital says they are working on an iPhone4 interface. I'm sure Apple is already hard at work on plans to make it obsolete.
Yeah I figure Apple will release a mini-USB add on the day I find and purchase a new input interface :roll:

Thanks for headsup Jorgren... I will keep my eye on the iAudioInterface to see what transpires...
hp sudon

Post by hp sudon »

I tried to find info about this input option in this thread but couldn't find anything--
The peavey ampkitlink

http://peavey.com/ampkitlink/

looks pretty cool-- will it be compatible with MT DAW? I'm thinking of getting it.... I think it's pre-order only for now.. not sure of the actual release date or if it already has been released?
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Hey hp, nice catch!
AmpKitLiNK_assembled.png
The app looks very close to what we've been waiting for - they apparently forgot copy/paste, but at least it has recording and FX! Let's all write to Agile Partners and tell them to add copy/paste so it worksconveniently with Multitrack DAW. The hardware is probably very similar to my active cable or the iRig cable - so hardware-wise it's Multitrack compatible. But perfection would entail being able to transfer your guitar + FX recordings right into Multitrack, and that means copy/paste (or perhaps streaming, some day, when the standards are set).

http://www.agilepartners.com/apps/ampkit/

Agile Partners and Peavey Electronics are proud to announce AmpKit, the ultimate iPhone amp and pedal studio with extensive recording and re-amping capabilities, and AmpKit LiNK, a high fidelity electric guitar interface.

AmpKit is available in two versions:

AmpKit is a free app, available on the iTunes App Store, that comes with a Peavey ValveKing amp (clean and very-high-gain lead channels), two ValveKing cabinets (4x12 and 1x12), two pedals (Noise Gate, Elevenizer overdrive pedal), two mics (Workhorse 57 dynamic mic, Germann 87 condenser mic), and a built-in Noise & Feedback Filter.

AmpKit+ is a paid app ($19.99 in the US App Store) that includes everything in the free version PLUS the following additional gear at less than half their individual prices: Peavey 3120 amp with clean, rhythm, and ultra-high-gain lead channels and matching 4x12 cabinet; Colonel Vintage amp paired with matching 4x10 and 1x12 cabinets; Vintage Brit amp with matching 2x12 cabinet; and distortion, fuzz, compressor, chorus, phaser, flanger, reverb, and 10-band EQ pedals!

In both AmpKit and AmpKit+, an amazing array of additional gear modeled after real-world equipment is available for purchase through an in-app Gear Store. AmpKit has more than twice the number of components of other apps, with more gear coming!

Features:

•Over 60 predefined amp and pedal setups
•Easily create and save an unlimited number of custom setups, with a dozen or more active pedals in each setup
•Record as you play: AmpKit creates both “dry” (guitar signal before effects are applied) and “wet” (guitar signal with effects applied) recordings
•Ability to "reamp": re-record a previous session, applying a new amp and pedal setup
•Realistic simulations of high-gain amps (e.g., Peavey ValveKing and 6505+) that you can listen to with headphones (be sure to use AmpKit LiNK which has special crosstalk / feedback reduction circuitry)
•Mic positioning control
•Ultra-low latency (i.e., not even noticeable)
•The same high-precision tuner and metronome technology used in GuitarToolkit
•Upload dry recordings for reamping, or your favorite songs and backing tracks to play along with
•Download AmpKit recordings to your computer, email recordings, or share using SoundCloud
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I downloaded Ampkit's free app yesterday and used the iRig adapter to play with it. Their cable claims to practically eliminate the feedback, which was pretty substantial when using the iRig; However, by turning down the headphones, I was able to get it to work with plenty of volume. Their free app includes more than Amplitube's. Ampkit doesn't have a free delay, but Amplitube's is terrible anyway. As for recording, I was able to import the song I was working with on MultiTrack via wifi from my computer (Ampkit accepts .wav, MP3 etc.), play along and record just my guitar with no crosstalk. I used a little overdrive/distortion and a lot of reverb. The in app recording was a little difficult as there is no way to sync the start time (MultiTrack's trim feature is a fairly easy fix). The whole uploading to sound cloud, downloading to my PC, uploading to MultiTrack via wifi is quite inconvenient, but it does work.

I did not attempt to record anything with a lot of overdrive or distortion as my music doesn't require a real heavy sound, but the recording I got through Ampkit was quieter than what I've gotten with the iRig, a distortion pedal, and a compressor pedal, but the latter produces a much warmer tone and my Strat is, well a Strat (noisy if I'm facing the wrong direction). The sound is pretty good, but I did not work too hard on it as I was more interested in how the recording process was going to work; the Ampkit has a great feature which allows you to record with or without effects and add or subtract effects from what you've recorded. Overall, we really need someone to develop a guitar app with copy and paste. I emailed support at Amplitube last week about adding it, and he replied that weren't any immediate plans to add recording of any kind. This conflicted with an email correspondence I had with a US marketing director, who said there were plans to add recording. Hey pwnified, feel like developing a guitar app? I emailed Intua with same request, but haven't heard from them.
hp sudon

Post by hp sudon »

You can't sync via wifi or to itunes like multitrack? That would really put a damper on the app if that's the case.
I guess I'm more interested in the hardware link because then I could use my tech 21 sansamp direct into MT.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

As usual, I need to make a correction. In my haste to check out recording capabilities of Ampkit, i missed an option. You can transfer recordings made in Ampkit via wifi to your computer; you don't HAVE to use Soundcloud. All apologies.