Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
IK Multimedia

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by IK Multimedia »

DavePDX wrote:I just tried Ampkit with the MobilePre USB interface on my iPad, and I'm amazed. This app is incredibly versatile, and sounds fantastic. I've joined the write-in campaign to get them to add copy/paste so we can use it more easily with MultiTrack. Better still, maybe Harmonicdog should work with them to create a plug-in version of AmpKit for Multitrack!
While we already think our 14+ years of experience gives the current AmpliTube on iPhone an edge in sound quality, just wait until V2 (not too far off) and you might want to ask them to work with us for a plug in in Multitrack. VAST improvement. Just like AmpliTube Fender did on the PC/Mac platform, we're moving ahead without waiting for others to catch up. Keep an eye out.
dstole

Post by dstole »

@ IK Multimedia
I have been a happy user of IK products since the first version of T-Racks. I still have the big white serial dongle :) I also use amplitube on my Mac. I have always been happy with your products and service.

Last week I purchased the iRig and the full iPhone version of amplitude.

// rant
I am sad to say the iRig has been horrible. The noise is unbearable. The first effect of every amp has to be the noise suppressor. I have read and followed all the suggestions on the iRig support page, but it hasn't helped.

Add to the fact that you are charging customers the same price again, with no extra functionality, for the iPad version, and I have to admit that I am frustrated. I think that I will probably buy AmpKit+ for the iPad before I buy another copy of Amplitube, considering I have bought the full application and the almost unusable iRig already.

// end rant

Has anyone else had trouble with their iRig and noise?

I might try and pick-up the MOTU Microbook, or at least take my iPad and camera kit into a shop for a quick test. before that though I want to try my Apogee Duo with a USB converter as someone mentioned that might work on another site, and it doesn't hurt to try. If only I had a Mini-Me.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

IK Multimedia wrote:
DavePDX wrote:I just tried Ampkit with the MobilePre USB interface on my iPad, and I'm amazed. This app is incredibly versatile, and sounds fantastic. I've joined the write-in campaign to get them to add copy/paste so we can use it more easily with MultiTrack. Better still, maybe Harmonicdog should work with them to create a plug-in version of AmpKit for Multitrack!
While we already think our 14+ years of experience gives the current AmpliTube on iPhone an edge in sound quality, just wait until V2 (not too far off) and you might want to ask them to work with us for a plug in in Multitrack. VAST improvement. Just like AmpliTube Fender did on the PC/Mac platform, we're moving ahead without waiting for others to catch up. Keep an eye out.
Unfortunately, AmpliTube crashes immediately on the iPad when trying to use any USB interface. I hope you guys fix that. I'd love to be able use it!
dstole

Post by dstole »

I went to a music store today and they let me try a couple of interfaces for testing purposes.

Sadly the Motu Microbook did not work. The unit was getting power, but there was no recognition in any of the software. There was no error or warning screen though.

The Steinberg CI1 caused a power warning. I did not have a powered USB unit to further test.

The Alesis MultiMix USB series works. I tested the 4, 6, and 8 version and all were fine.
beyond

Post by beyond »

dstole wrote:I went to a music store today and they let me try a couple of interfaces for testing purposes.

Sadly the Motu Microbook did not work. The unit was getting power, but there was no recognition in any of the software. There was no error or warning screen though.

The Steinberg CI1 caused a power warning. I did not have a powered USB unit to further test.

The Alesis MultiMix USB series works. I tested the 4, 6, and 8 version and all were fine.
Wow, those Multimix units look pretty sweet! And were the 4, 6, and 8 all powered by the iPad via USB, or did they require their own power supply?

Finally, and most importantly, do they have realtime monitoring back from the iPad during recording via the USB? I have two Alesis products (the Protrack iphone mic and the guitarlink 1/4" to USB cable), and while both give great sound on signal and recording, neither allow realtime monitoring back from the device.

Also found this unit from Behringer on Guitar Center's site, 16 tracks with effects, verified two-way USB (at least in the product description, which is not mentioned for the Alesis multimix), AND you get 16 tracks for LESS than the eight track Multimix!:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-X ... 1512166.gc

That looks seriously fun -- must be why it's currently not in stock. There's also a 12-track version, with effects and two-way USB, that is in stock, and on top of all that, it's under $200:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-X ... 1512165.gc

Pretty sweet, I gotta say. :mrgreen:

So far, I'm still loving my Cakewalk UA-1G, it's powered by the iPad, has adjustable input levels, it's got realtime monitoring, sounds great, it's only $99, and it's truly portable, as it's basically just a cable/dongle.
LoveChild

Post by LoveChild »

IK Multimedia wrote:

Personally, I would love to see "plug-in" functionality implemented in Multutrack DAW in conjunction with IKMultimedia Amplitube or Agile Ampkit+ (since I have both) if such a marriage could be made possible. That would really button up and streamline some work flow processes and really extend the functionality of my favorite iPhone recording software DAW Multitrack!

:ugeek:
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Here's a vote for the opposite ;) - keeping MT DAW as a dedicated, high performance recording and playback tool, with a few high quality features (EQ, comp and reverb spring to mind) and leaving all the synths, amp modelling and other stuff out. Not because they wouldn't be nice to have, but because I value the limited processing power available on the iPhone being used for those things.
As an example, I'm very happy to record in NanoSynth and then copy/paste the track(s) into MT DAW. Mind you, I always record guitar sounds with real amps and mics, so I must declare my bias.
Just an opinion.

Dominic
dstole

Post by dstole »

Beyond,
I tested the unit last night and it does offer real time monitoring. The FX bus is also added to the USB channel. The USB channel can also be fed back to the master (USB) bus.

I recorded a stereo source onto track one.
Playing it back I could hear track one while recording another stereo source to track two.

If I click the USB to master button, I could record the first two tracks to a third track, almost like a fold down option.

EQ and FX were recorded to the master (USB) bus. Essentially, anything you hear at the master bus is sent to the stereo USB. The return on the USB can be sent to the Master bus, and/or to the monitor bus.

That said, I am taking the unit back today.
I didn't really like the sound, and the power plug is a bit bulky.
The EQ didn't appeal to me, and the rubber pads on the bottom were of different height, causing the unit to rock forward :)

The unit is not bus powered.
When i was at the shop I confirmed that the Allen & Heath Zed 10FX works as well, but I decided to get the Alesis unit because I already have the Zed R-16. The shop staff told me that the EQ of the Allen & Heath was not route to the USB bus, so I though it was pointless to pay more for the 10FX. When I got home and checked the block diagram it did look like the 10FX routes the EQ to the USB bus, so that swung me back to the Allen and Heath. Using the units side by side finalized it for me. The sounds are just to obviously different.

As a side note, the shop staff mentioned the Behringer stuff, but it looks like Behringer Japan recently went under and Behringer is no longer available in Japan.
jabraham

Post by jabraham »

jabraham wrote: Not sure why I missed this before, but can I just by the KVConnection adapter and plug in my Shure SM57? http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/k ... e-xtrs.htm maybe would allow me to monitor through headphones?
I received my XLR connector from KVConnection and it does work well. Interestingly, the connector seems to weigh more than my iPhone. Perhaps I should have bought an XLR-to-mini adapter cable, and then KVConnections mini microphone connector instead of their XLR connector. then all the weight could have been on the microphone side! But anyways I'm very happy with the audio performance, just not the weight.

Also I still don't have a stereo option for my iphone4.
jabraham

Post by jabraham »

jorgren wrote:I have purchased the KV cable and can't recommend it, especially not for a Shure SM57.
<snip>
By the way, what I did with my KV cable is cut it up and add an active circuit so it's much like the iRig now.
It seems to work well. I thought they did add some active circuitry to the new versions of the KV cable? I could cut it up to check, but I probably wont :)

--
John