Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jkevinwolfe

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by jkevinwolfe »

John,

The Cakewalk is connected when you see the red USB light. Is that happening when you plug in? Skip the powered USB hub. It doesn't help.

Here's a checklist:

• Hold the Sleep button at the top of your iPad for eight seconds. When you see the off switch, slide it. Once off, hold the Sleep button for one second to turn it back on. This reboots the iPad and shuts down all the apps, which are still technically running until reboot.

• Make sure your headphones are plugged into the Cakewalk's Phones/Digital Out jack, not the earphone jack on the iPad.

• Turn the Advanced Driver on the Cakewalk to the Off position.

• Flip the Cakewalk over and make sure all the ALPS switches are down or off.

• If it doesn't connect, unplug and try again. These USB peripherals barely work with the iPad. But usually once they start up they don't cut out.
crowdies

Post by crowdies »

You are a genius! It is now working. Thanks for showing me the light at the end of the tunnel. after many hours of frustration I have managed to get a stereo signal in to the DAW. I think it was the clean boot and switching the asio driver switch to off which made the difference. Can't thank you enough!

Regards
John
moogplayer

Post by moogplayer »

this info needs to be a sticky. Almost like a FAQ on each USB interface...
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

John,

Not a genius, just persistent (as you have to be with many of the USB peripherals and iPad.) Many that work, like both the Cakewalk and Yeti, appear to drain power right at max the Camera Connector and iPad are capable of.

As MT by nature of what it does is pretty resource hungry itself on the iOS, it's always a good idea to reboot before recording. I figure by the time I reboot I have up to 30 apps running in the background on my iPad and we're not even able to multitasking yet.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

Hello all,
I don't know about the iPad, but the iPod touch has a feature for closing apps that are running in the background without shutting down. Do a quick double tap of the home button. This brings up a line if app icons right above the home button. Tap and hold one app icon until they start shaking and show Xs at the upper left corner of the icons (similar to when you delete apps). If you tap the Xs, you can shut down the apps. It was something I accidentally stumbled upon. My battery life is noticeably longer between MultiTrack uses. It might be worth a try with the iPad as well.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Wow, thank you Scott - I'll edit my earlier post to point here.
kana

Post by kana »

Anorton wrote:Hello all,
I don't know about the iPad, but the iPod touch has a feature for closing apps that are running in the background without shutting down. Do a quick double tap of the home button. This brings up a line if app icons right above the home button. Tap and hold one app icon until they start shaking and show Xs at the upper left corner of the icons (similar to when you delete apps). If you tap the Xs, you can shut down the apps. It was something I accidentally stumbled upon. My battery life is noticeably longer between MultiTrack uses. It might be worth a try with the iPad as well.
This feature got introduced with iOS4 only and is not yet available for the iPad, November is Apple's official timeframe for releasing it. However, there's a free app available in the app store, called SysStatsLite. With its help, you can view a list of all processes and kill the user programs.

Regards, Kana
kana

MXL USB.009 working (96kHz/24bit)

Post by kana »

I'd like to report that the MXL USB.009 microphone is also working in principle, however, you need to use a powered USB hub in between, there is no way for me to get it to work w/o it due to the iPad complainig it would draw too much current.
The nice thing to it is that this is a 96kHz/24 bit microphone, I don't know though if DAW is able to take advantage of it. As posted somewhere else, the iPad supports natively only up to 48kHz, but I would still be interested to know what a Maddog representative had to say about the 24 bit of that HW. (I haven't copied any song over to my PC yet and don't know which format it has on the iPad, or even if the format would be kept during copy).

Regards, Kana
Daz

Post by Daz »

Guys I've been using daw for a bit now on an iPad.

Basically I've run into some issues:

1. We plugged in a zoom h4 via it's USB cable via the camera connection adapter and the iPad through up a message saying the connected device requires too much power?

2. I brought the 24 track version after adding 5 tracks and attempting record a 6th via an irig and a zoom h4 I get a strange effect on the 6th track. Playing it back confirms that the track is not only picking input from the h4 but also the output from the 5 other tracks?

As I understand it daw works with the h4 so can you help me identify what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Daz
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

Daz,

I don't use it too often (I have some other USB interfaces I prefer, like the Yeti and M-Audio Pre), but I have a Zoom H4n that I've used successfully with MultiTrack. I just fired it up and TRIED to make it give a excessive power message, but the only way I could do that was powering it up after plugging it into the iPad and launching MT.

Normally, I get the best results by powering up my devices first (if they are externally powered), then plugging into the camera kit, then plugging that into the iPad, then launching MT. Other sequence orders have given me somewhat unpredictable results, including the excessive power message.

That said, Apple seems to be messing with the power requirements and USB audio capability with every version of the iOS firmware. Which version are you running?