rpg51

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by rpg51 »

I have this equipement:
iPhone 3gs
shure SM 57 mic
art "tube" mic preamp
Belkin Tune Talk
Acoustic Guitars (with passive K&K pick ups but mic would work fine for my purposes
Acoustic Mandolin (with Schertler DYN G pickup - like a dynamic mic - (but mic would work fine)

Any way to get my sm57 running into my iphone with this stuff? Can I take the 1/4 inch out (unbalanced) from the Art Preamp use a 1/8 adapter and go into the "line in" on the Belkin?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

rpg51 wrote:Can I take the 1/4 inch out (unbalanced) from the Art Preamp use a 1/8 adapter and go into the "line in" on the Belkin?
You should be able to. The Belkin provides a high quality line in, so if the art can deliver a line out it should work. The only thing is the Belkin line in is stereo, so try to get a splitting adapter (1/8 stereo split into two 1/4 mono). Let us know how the Art sounds going into the Belkin.
rpg51

Post by rpg51 »

I'll give it a whirl in the AM and report back.

Tell me, if the mic works through the Art Pre am I correct to assume that my guitars will likely work as well? Certainly the Schertler Dyn G pick up I use on my Mandolin - that is just a contact dynamic mic as I understand it.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Word on the TT: Before I got the iPad and DAW I used the TT exclusively when recording both mic and line in. The mics are decent, giving you a natural sounding stereo and a wide presence. It's downside is that both the mic and line in have a substantial amount of hiss. I had to use a serious amount of noise reduction in Garage Band to get the TT tracks sounding clean.

I have three songs up on iTunes that use the TT. If you want to hear what it sounds like once cleaned up:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bitchi ... d382112499

This song has 5 vocals, two ukuleles, bass, harmonica, and a kaossilator. Everything originated through the TT mic or line in. I hated to stop using it, but it doesn't work with the new iPhone4 or iPad.
rpg51

Post by rpg51 »

I tried the ART mic preamp with my Shure Beta 57 and the Belkin ext mic gizmo. No go. Waaay too soft in the vol. dept. The signal get through but its not strong enough. The Belkin is looking for line level - my guess is the output of the ART is mic level. Does that make sense? I am a novice at this stuff. I should say that the 1/4 plug into the ART output jack was a stereo plug - should it have been mono? Would that account for the weak signal?

Is there an inexpensive way to get my dynamic mic up to line level?
Keith

ART dual pre

Post by Keith »

Has anyone used the ART dual pre (USB) with the iPad?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

rpg51 wrote:Is there an inexpensive way to get my dynamic mic up to line level?
I'm surprised that preamp cant handle it. What is the exact model?
pwnified

Re: ART dual pre

Post by pwnified »

Keith wrote:Has anyone used the ART dual pre (USB) with the iPad?
I haven't tried it, looks like it's time for another amazon ordering session.
Keith

Post by Keith »

The battery looks like a nice alternative. For the next couple of weeks I'm finishing a cool but demanding project and won't be able to do any testing.
rpg51

Post by rpg51 »