Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
rpg51

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by rpg51 »

Another possible solution for use of Shure Beta 57 - could I take the mono output from my ART Mic Preamp and run that into the headphone jack on top of my 3gs with a breakout cable - mini to rca? If I do that - is there a way to monitor using headphones? Would I need an adapter to go from stereo headphone jack to rca? So the headphones use the two audio playback lines and the mic preamp uses the mic line - is that a way to do this?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yeah thats a way to do this. There were some adapter cables posted to this thread which people have reported to work. I would recommend trying the peavey ampkit link, it has active circuitry to reduce crosstalk if you go this route.

Also the alesis protrack is guaranteed to work with almost any kind of input including phantom powered mics.

Little confused about your ART though because it mentions it has 60db of gain. Not sure what the point of a preamp is if it can't even convert mic to line level. Did you try another mic (non dynamic)?
rpg51

Post by rpg51 »

I'm confused on the ART as well. I have a suspicion it might have something to do with the Rube Goldberg connections and adapters I was using. I only have the one mic - it is a good strong new mic so I don't think it is the mic.

Does that ampkit limk work with the Shure Dynamic mics? If so, I agree - that is proabably the cost effective way for me to go. Can you monitor using headphones wiht the amkit link?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Actually I just tried a dynamic mic (SM57) with both the ampkit link and the iRig. No good. The signal level is just way too low. You know what you should do, is save the money for those overpriced adapters and just grab a small mixer (something like a behringer 8 track for 50 bucks: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-802-Pre ... 389&sr=8-1 something like that will have more than enough gain to feed the belkin tunetalk in stereo with autogain set to off.
rpg51

Post by rpg51 »

Good suggestion. But, I am going to make one more stab at using this ART pre. Seems like it should work - in fact it should work better than a cheap desk with cheap mic preamps. My gut tells me its not the pre amp or the mic, its the connection system I put together or maybe my Belkin. I'll stop at radio shack and get the right adapters and then I'll report back.
rpg51

Post by rpg51 »

Radio Shack did not have the proper adapter to do what needs to be done. I think I have futzed with this enough. I'll just use the iPhone mic for now. Thanks for the help.
Scott549

Output from mixer to iPod?

Post by Scott549 »

This seems like a simple question, but I don't know if it has a simple answer. I'm planning on getting a new iPod Touch (4th generation) and am interested in using Multitrack DAW. I am assuming I can play around with it using the built-in microphone. The question is this - is there an easy way to run the output from a Behringer mixer into the iPod to use with this application?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

There isn't a way to get stereo mics or stereo line inputs into the 4th generation devices yet. For now you can record using the headset input and an adapter cable, but it's going to be mono only unfortunately.
pwnified

Re: ART dual pre

Post by pwnified »

Keith wrote:Has anyone used the ART dual pre (USB) with the iPad?
I got one, its working great. A nice feature is that it only draws 50ma of power, even with phantom power enabled. It also has enough gain for dynamic mics, and the direct monitoring can be turned off by turning the mix knob up. http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp ... t=9&id=150

UPDATE: This unit is exhibiting problems, see this: http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic. ... 1935#p1935
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks for the info. Some told me to check out the PreSonus audioBox. It has very similar audio specs but no battery. PreSonus didn't know what the current draw is.