Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
McCormick

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by McCormick »

Hi guys. Just purchased MD, and am excited to dive into it. Before I go out and dump cash into hubs, and micas and whatnot, I'd thought I'd pick your cumulative brains. I have a Tascam US-144, http://tascam.com/product/us-144/specifications/ and i was wondering if I would be able to use this with my iPad, and which interface I should use; the camera or a hub?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Jim
Keith

Nice interface

Post by Keith »

After some listening and research I have finally decided on an interface for the iPad. The winner is Sound Devices USB Pre 2. The resolution is very adequate. This is really a professional unit designed for film use. It is a little pricey but it allows for really nice recordings. The unit has all types of inputs and outputs. There is a usable limiter and high pass filter. I did see that the Apogee Mini Me USB is also usable. Although they don't manufacture it anymore they can be found used. Apogee said they had one more new one in stock.
Check out the USB Pre 2:
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpre2.htm

I hope to have some recording sample available in the near future.
Zapit

Post by Zapit »

I still have the Apogee MiniMe USB - great device, but needs a powered hub, too. I really like the compressor/limiter when recording acoustic guitar.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Dr. Grace,

The design of the iMic has been the same since it was first released. However the specs are very loose. It's possible that any two units may function somewhat differently. But what you describe shouldn't be normal.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Anfirmor,

The camera connector kit is just not designed to work the iPhone, only the iPad.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

anfirmor wrote: The fact that there is such a steep LF roll off on the mic input is a major pain. Once changed a capacitor in an old HTC TYTN to rectify the same problem but don't fancy attempting that on my lovely new iphone4
There is reason to believe that the EQ bass rolloff is done completely in software, as part of the audio system in iOS, because the rolloff curve keeps changing depending on iOS release. But there is no developer control over it. Many people have filed bugs and feature requests which have been ignored.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

McCormick wrote: I have a Tascam US-144, http://tascam.com/product/us-144/specifications/ and i was wondering if I would be able to use this with my iPad, and which interface I should use; the camera or a hub?
I tried a tascam us-824, it didn't work, but your unit looks like it's 1.1 class compliant. The only way to tell is to try it, unfortunately. You'll need the camera connection kit to try it, the hub is used if it needs more power than what the ipad can provide (100MA)
pwnified

Re: Nice interface

Post by pwnified »

Keith wrote: The winner is Sound Devices USB Pre 2.
Thats a nice unit. It looks like is supports soft start, do you know if it works with the iPad without a hub, when phantom power is off? Probably not, with all those LEDS.
Keith wrote:I hope to have some recording sample available in the near future.
Yes!
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Thank you for the reply pwnified.

So the bottom end filter cut-off/slope is set in software. I can believe that having hooked up a signal gen (through a jfet buffer) yesterday and observed just how ugly waveforms get at the lower frequencies. Even sine waves aren't very pretty. The idea of a reverse filter is probably a non starter as, if the filter is ios derived, any boost to the lower frequencies would overload the mic preamp anyway, which is hardly hi fi to begin with.
I have done a cut/past test into TwistedWave to boost the bottom end. Sounds better but it's obviousely boosting a signal range that has already been mangled by the ios filter. Booo!
I am new to the apple world. Is it hard even for developers to get answers from them as it seems almost impossible for customers.

What a shame! It must be galling to produce such a great app and have to battle Apple at the same time.
molson

Post by molson »

While it seems there are a number of good interface options that require external power. Was wondering if anyone had tried this with the iPad camera connection kit and confirm it runs on USB alone?

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-Channel- ... 65&sr=1-82

or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-X2U-XLR-to- ... 3&sr=1-132

Thanks - Matt