Anyone Try MultiTrack on iPad?

New Features and requests for new features
DavePDX

Re: Anyone Try MultiTrack on iPad?

Post by DavePDX »

fgrittner:

I've since used MultiTrack to record many sessions with the Yeti, and it's been working flawlessly. However, at one point I did manage to damage a USB connecter on a cable by repositioning the mic. Might be worth trying a different cable.

The other interesting difference in our experiences is that I've been unable to get multitrack to recognize the Yeti as a mono input at all, even when I select the cardioid pattern. Always stereo.
Perhaps there are different variations of the mic that have been released?
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

Thanks for the information, Dave. I will try a different cable and play around with it some more. It is funny--I got stereo the first time I plugged it in but mono since. Have you tried all three mono patterns? If I can't get it working I will likely exchange it and see if I got a lemon.

MultiTrack also locked up once yesterday when I was trying the Yeti, which was a first in all the times I have used the app. The big deal for me is being able to monitor through the Yeti.

At this point, Blue is only making one type of Yeti.

Thanks again for replying. There are probably just a handful of people in the world right now with an iPad, a Yeti, and the desire to record into an iPad.

Fred
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I rebooted the iPad this morning and plugged in the Yeti. I can record and I can monitor but as Dave points out, I can only record in stereo. I am not sure what happened on Sunday. This week I will take another run at the Shure USB mic adapter, plugged into a powered hub, and see if it works. It should--there is more than enough power coming from the hub.

Fred
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

So an iPad reboot solved the issues?

As far as switching stereo/mono, I'm not sure how to support on-the-fly switching of input topologies, it may be necessary to unplug the USB cord during the switch and then reconnect it after.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I had turned off the iPad and charged it. When I tried the Yeti it worked. I am not sure what was going on Sunday.

As to the stereo mono issue. I think I unplugged the Yeti and switched from stereo to cardiod, but still got a stereo track. I will have to recheck in terms of changing the pattern before I boot up MultiTrack.

Fred
Shonuffchocolate

Post by Shonuffchocolate »

The multitrack for the iPad is excellent. Love the way you are able to just piece things together. You can beat this application for the price.
crunchysteve

Post by crunchysteve »

juicymichole wrote:In and Out?
More than 2 channels?
24 bit?

Trying to figure out which USB to get for experimentation.
Class-compliant USB audio is the key phrase. If the audio interface doesn't require a driver to use on your Mac or PC, it should work with your iPad with the help of the USB camera connection kit adapter.

As for resolution, if iPad is Fully Class Compliant, then it should be able to address multiple streams, up to reasonable sample and bit rates. Your limits will be set by the power of the iPad, the Touch OS API and whether a particular app developer gives access to the settings the API will support. Some dry reading on the actual audio class standard (nerd alert!) http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/audio10.pdf

At this stage, it should be theoretically possible to make an app like Multitrack detect available audio streams and direct them to separate channels. For example, I've used a heath-robinson audio interface on my Mac for a few years now, consisting of 4x Sony Singstar USB audio adapters, a passive USB hub and some balanced line adapters on the inputs. Using the CoreAudio control, AudioMIDI Setup, I've built an "aggregate device" which I've then used as my input device to Garage Band, giving me 8, simultaneous recording inputs. It works because each Singstar has a unique serial number as part of the device name, and this separates all the streams from each other.

In theory, replace the passive hub with a powered one, and write a routine into Multitrack to identify separate audio streams, plug all this into the camera kit USB gadget, and you should have a portable multitrack recorder. Whether the Harmonic Dog guys want to bother with such an arcane approach is entirely up to them, but it could be done if Apple will allow the code.

The real key to the success of a feature like this would be to find actual 8 channel audio interface products that are driverless (ie "Class-Compliant") and write specifically for a few of the best.

In short, still a bit of work to do from a lot of different people.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I'm setting up a Beta test for MultiTrack 2.0, see this thread:

http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86
iPad730

Post by iPad730 »

^^^^^ I want to be a Beta Tester

Please check my Post Here for iPad - Multitrack
http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105