Anyone Try MultiTrack on iPad?

New Features and requests for new features
fgrittner

Anyone Try MultiTrack on iPad?

Post by fgrittner »

Topic line speaks for itself. Also, I see Sonoma WW has released 8 track iPad app at $39.99. Seems overpriced for what you get.

Fred
juicymichole

Re: Anyone Try MultiTrack on iPad?

Post by juicymichole »

From the harmonicdog Twitter:
MultiTrack for iPad will be a Universal Binary and a free upgrade, available April 20th. Regions, Bins, Undo, Copy/Paste + more
so, yeah don't waste your money on sonoma stuff.

Getting an IPad tonight (if they aren't sold out??), I'll let you know how the existing version works.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I wasn't planning on getting it. I have 4 track and I never use it. MultiTrack is where it is at for iPhone iPad iTouch recording. Also,Sonoma support appears woeful.

My concern: if I get an iPad I won't be able to take advantage of the Alesis ProTrack preamps for my mics. Is there a 30-pin male/female extender cable that would transmit audio from the ProTrack into the iPad?

Fred
aliahlewis

Post by aliahlewis »

I haven't tried it yet as I was looking for the personal reviews of the users and then if it is possible than only buy it and I think it got quite positive reply so I am going to have it soon. But I was looking for instructions on playing multitrack on iPad. It's good to have it here.
juicymichole

Post by juicymichole »

I went to the Apple Store with the intention of buying an iPad. I'm basically an Apple apologist and I've been defending this thing ad nauseum despite having never seen one.

Something happened when I picked one up - no "magic". It just didn't do it for me.

Maybe once there are more truly innovative ipad apps, iPhone OS 4.0 and hardware rev b I'll be pumped. I just didn't get excited by it.
juicymichole

Post by juicymichole »

My son talked me into another trip back to the Apple store to re-evaluate the iPad.

He convinced me to do it, but it still feels like it is at least six months away from being the device I've been wanting to get.

Anyway - on topic - none of my iPhone hardware works with the iPad. I have a blue mikey and a belkin stereo tune talk.

The blue mikey doesn't do anything. No light, no message on the iPad.

The Belkin turns the light on momentarily, then I get a "this accessory is not supported by iPad" message and the light turns off.

No successful recording from either of them.

I did successfully manage to type this entire thing on the iPad though, so it isn't a complete waste ;)

The iPhone version of multitrack works fine to record with the internal mic.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Got some bad news and some awesome news. The reason the iPad doesn't work with any of the stereo mic accessories is because the iPad doesn't have a stereo line in on the doc connector. The awesome news is that the iPad supports class-compliant USB audio interfaces, using the Camera Connection kit. So any USB audio interface should work to get audio into the iPad, as long as it's class-compliant. Class-compliant means basically that it doesn't need drivers, so if you have an audio interface that doesn't need drivers it should work (it probably also needs a powered USB hub, because the iPad doesn't have enough power for most devices). I have not tried it, but this information has been verified by an apple engineer.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

That is very interesting news. It would be cool if Universal Audio built a preamp/USB soundcard for this purpose.

The M Audio Fast Track Pro appears to be class compliant.

BTW, is there anything in OS 4 that will help or hinder your development of MultiTrack?

Fred
juicymichole

Post by juicymichole »

They don't seem to have the USB connector available anywhere. I just put one on order (2-3 weeks).

That is great news. I know your probably can't talk about os4 much due to nda, but I assume that thing where you can register your app to handle certain file types and have it available to open files from other apps is a win for the whole audio sharing situation. I may not be understanding that correctly though.
juicymichole

Post by juicymichole »

Do you know how much of the devices it will support?

In and Out?
More than 2 channels?
24 bit?

Trying to figure out which USB to get for experimentation.

Also, as far as 4.0 - something I kept thinking about while watching the Pandora demo was that something like Multitrack should be able to play it's audio in the background while the user opens something like thumbjam. Then, within thumbjam the user should be able to use the iPod transport to control multitrack. The saved audio from Thumbjam could then be copied back to multitrack.

If that is possible, or if multitrack had access to the thumbjam audio while playing, seems like it opens up a whole lot of possibilities. Alas, I'm probably dreaming