Anyone Try MultiTrack on iPad?

New Features and requests for new features
Trombophonic

Re: Anyone Try MultiTrack on iPad?

Post by Trombophonic »

Well, I went to guitar center to try out the m-audio fast track pro, but was not able to get the iPad to use it as an input. With the ac adapter plugged in to the fast track, there was no error messages (without power, all of the units I tried gave an error to the effect of "This device is not available to the iPad as it uses to much power"), however i couldn't get multitrack to stop using the iPad built in mic. It is certainly possible I was doing something wrong, but between the sales guy and me we just couldn't get it to work. He suggested I come back with a powered USB hub so we could try out some other devices ( he seemed as anxious to get this working as I am) so I will do that next weekend. Anyone else have more luck with this than me?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

DavePDX wrote:Good News!! Multitrack works beautifully with the Blue Yeti USB microphone (via the Camera connection kit).
There's a headphone jack on the mic body that simultaneously plays the iPad output as well as the sound being recorded. This solves the #1 problem of using the iPad for multitrack recording
That is good news, thanks for checking this out. It sounds like the Yeti has hardware monitoring done right (are you listening Alesis???)
It's a bit confusing because the Yeti supposedly draws 150ma of current, did you use a powered hub or did it work without one?
Keith wrote:Question. Does anyone know if the camera kit will pass audio in and out of a touch or phone?
Not for 4.0 but perhaps later
fgrittner wrote:I know the Duet is Firewire class compliant. Is it possible to make it USB class compliant simply by plugging it into a USB adapter? If so, it would need a powered hub I am guessing.
A usb adapter would need to do a re-code anyway so as long as the USB adapter sends 1.0 class compliant audio, it should work.
Trombophonic wrote:Well, I went to guitar center to try out the m-audio fast track pro, but was not able to get the iPad to use it as an input.
Strange, that device is listed as class compliant with 2 inputs and 4 outputs at 44.1/48, I wonder what the problem is.
Trombophonic

Post by Trombophonic »

It's entirely possible I was doing something wrong, although I' not sure what it could be.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

pwnified wrote:That is good news, thanks for checking this out. It sounds like the Yeti has hardware monitoring done right (are you listening Alesis???)
It's a bit confusing because the Yeti supposedly draws 150ma of current, did you use a powered hub or did it work without one?
No hub, just plugged it straight in. If I tried to plug headphones into the mic after plugging the mic into the iPad, I got a "too much power" message, but as long as I plugged the mic in first, everything worked great. Since the mic has a pre-amp and a headphone amplifier built in, I suspect their spec power is referring to maximum draw (ie, gain and volume all the way up), including power surge at startup.

Also, I saw your notes on another thread about the maximum expected tracks, however, I'm getting much better results than that. So far, I've got 8 stereo tracks plus stereo monitoring working just fine with the Yeti. Haven't tried to push beyond that yet.

I realized I had another option lying around, so I've been testing with my Zoom H4n as a USB interface, and it also works great (including duplex simultaneous monitoring)! Although the stereo mics don't sound as good as the Yeti, the H4n has 2 additional jacks which will accept either balanced or unbalanced input, plus it's battery powered rather than USB powered so no drain at all on the iPad as far as I can tell.

REALLY looking forward to v2.x! Is there a new projected release date? Do you need any testers? =)
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

Good call on the H4N, Dave. I just pulled out my Zoom H2 recorder, which also can be used as USB interface, and plugged it into the iPad. The front stereo mic set works fine with MultiTrack. I am looking forward to getting the Yeti on Tuesday but the H2 is so compact and comes with both a screw-in desk stand and a mic stand adapter, that I could see using this when traveling. It has minijack inputs for headphones, mic and line as well.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I hooked up a Belkin powered USB hub this morning and connected a Shure SM7b mic to the Shure USB adapter, before connecting to the iPad via USB. The Shure USB works fine with the iPad. I noticed in my test recording that though I sent a mono signal, MultiTrack generated a stereo track.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Trombophonic wrote:It's entirely possible I was doing something wrong, although I' not sure what it could be.
There's not much you could do wrong, the device either works or it doesn't. In this case it's probably not full-speed class compliant.
DavePDX wrote:Also, I saw your notes on another thread about the maximum expected tracks, however, I'm getting much better results than that. So far, I've got 8 stereo tracks plus stereo monitoring working just fine with the Yeti. Haven't tried to push beyond that yet.
I think I was talking about the number of simultaneous outputs. MultiTrack will always be able to do at least 16 tracks with software mixing, going to at least 2 outputs.
DavePDX wrote:REALLY looking forward to v2.x! Is there a new projected release date? Do you need any testers? =)
It's close, very close. The last little bit is always the hardest and I underestimated the ipad port. It's looking great and I'm dying to get it to you guys.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

fgrittner wrote:I hooked up a Belkin powered USB hub this morning and connected a Shure SM7b mic to the Shure USB adapter, before connecting to the iPad via USB. The Shure USB works fine with the iPad. I noticed in my test recording that though I sent a mono signal, MultiTrack generated a stereo track.
Thats interesting. MultiTrack requests a stereo input first, and then falls back to mono, so the USB adapter must be fulfilling the stereo request. Is it a stereo USB adapter with just a mono mic plugged in?
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

No, it is mono. However, I will double-check if I had the mic connected when I booted MultiTrack.

I checked out the Yeti today and it works fine. When I set it for stereo, MuliTrack used a stereo track. I then switched to cardiod while the app was running and went to the next empty track and hit record. A mono track appeared. The Yeti is very heavy but I am impressed with the design and features. It is nice to have the headphone jack on the mic for monitoring.

As for other, non-music USB devices, I plugged an Apple USB keyboard into the iPad and got the "not enough power" message.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I must be doing something wrong--a frustrating morning.

I plugged in the Yeti and wanted to overdub a track. I plugged in my earbuds to the Yeti and I hear nothing. I then tried plugging it in before I attached the Yeti to the connector\USB port. I am also not getting MultiTrack to recognize the Yeti in stereo. I swear it worked earlier in the week. So the only way to monitor is to plug in my ear buds into the iPad. I plugged the Yeti into my MacBook and the monitoring works fine--I would guess the iPad doesn't have enough power. However, Dave said he got it to work on his iPad. Strange. I plugged it into my powered hub but that didn't help.

Second, I plugged my Shure USB connector into my Shure SM7B again today and realized that the USB is not on, even with the mic routed through the powered hub. So I take back my claims from a few days ago--the Shure connector may not work at all. The phantom power light goes blue when engaged but the USB light remains dark. When I plug it into my MacBook it lights up.

So either I am missing something, which is always possible, or the Yeti is not iPad ready.