Pop / Click Sound when mic plugged into iPad

How to use MultiTrack DAW
dalerussell

Pop / Click Sound when mic plugged into iPad

Post by dalerussell »

Is anyone else having an issue with a faint 'pop' heard when using a mic to record audio into the ipad2 through the headphone jack?

I've tried using the iPhone earbuds w/ built-in mic and 3 different iRig Mics at the local music store - each time, the same result.

When I am using any audio recording program that accepts the mic input (Multitrack DAW, Garageband, free iRig recorder, Vocalive, etc.) I hear a faint 'pop' every 20 seconds or so. It is pretty quiet compared to the audio input, but is loud enough to be heard when trying to record good quality audio.

At first I thought it was an issue with the iRig Mic but after testing with the iPhone earbuds/mic, it appears that the issue pops up whenever there is an input device plugged into the headphone jack.

Can anyone confirm or provide a suggestion for how to remedy this problem?

Cheers. Dale
pwnified

Re: Pop / Click Sound when mic plugged into iPad

Post by pwnified »

You might try turning off everything possible, like notifications. Also try putting in into airplane mode and see if that helps. If you can pinpoint the cause, we can file a bug report with apple. It could also be a hardware problem with your particlar device, but unlikely.
dalerussell

Post by dalerussell »

I've tried a couple of other things (including turning off all services and even doing a full restore) with no luck.

I've also tested with a second iPad2 but I'm also getting the same click.

As it stands, I've got a work order open with Apple for a product exchange because they can't figure it out either.

I'd love it if someone could give it a test on their iPad - plug in a set of iPhone earbuds (w/ the built-in mic), or an irig mic or an ampkit link, turn up the volume 80%+ (enough to hear the natural hiss) and then listen for a faint pop - every 30 secs or so. It's loud enough to hear when mixing.

I know that i'm not going to get crystal clear input to the iPad but as it stands, the quality is unacceptable. The weird thing is, everything sounds great on my iPhone 4s.

Any advice would be appreciated!

- Dale

Here is a more detailed documentation of my testing (from a post on the ikmulitmedia forums):
Hey all - long post - thanks for your patience. So I've invested quite a substantial amount of money to try and put together a mobile demo studio but I'm having an issue with a faint click or pop noise when I plug an input device into the headphone jack. The noise is pretty regular - every 30 secs or so - and it is noticeable with the volume turned up. It even shows up in the VU meter in each of the audio recording apps I have so it's loud enough to be annoying.

I've tested with multiple input devices: irig mic, ampkit link, iPhone earbuds w/ built-in mic. At first I though it was the irig mic so I returned to the store and tested 3 others - same issue - so not likely an issue with the mic.

Tested in GarageBand, vocalive, irig recorder - I hear the click whether monitoring or recording - with no extra audio processing or effects so I know it's not a processing power issue.

After all these tests I started suspecting my iPad2 so I tried it on our work ipad2 - same pop noise.

Now I'm thinking it's a common iPad issue and I'm just making too big of a deal. I asked my bro to test with his irig mic and iPad - no pop - perfectly clear. I've tested with my iPhone 4s - perfectly clear.

My question - can someone take a sec to test their irig mic or iPhone earbuds w/ mic into an audio program where you can monitor the input, turn up the volume 80%+ and listen for clicks over a minute or two.

I need to know whether I should be returning my iPad or living with imperfect audio input.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Interesting, well to be perfectly honest I usually work on an iPad 1, and I'm also getting away from the headset input due to its inferior quality. But if IKMultimedia knows about this problem, they'll be pushing apple to get it fixed since they practically own that input. I'll bust out my wifes iPad 2 and give it a shot in a bit, and see if it exhibits the problem.
dalerussell

Post by dalerussell »

I appreciate it. I just want to know if its a common thing or if I have a hope of fixing things by trading my other-wise perfectly functioning iPad2 in.

I would never use the headset to record, I just wanted to test with another 'input device'. It does exhibit the issue with the headset, irig imic and ampkit link so I'd conclude that it happens with any input device.

I almost didn't notice it at first but when I turn the volume up 80%+ while monitoring, there is no denying (especially since it makes the VU meters jump a bit... so its not just my ears!).

Thanks again :)
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I have an iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1. I just recorded two separate tracks with the earbud mic, each about two minutes and did notice any clicks. Can you see the clicks on the waveform? The two tracks I recorded were both flatlined, but my old steam heating pipes knocked twice during one of the recordings. You've probably thought of this, but could the clicks be coming from the room you're in? I've done quite a few recordings with the KV-connection adapter and a Shure SM-58 as well as with the AmpKit LiNK and iRig and haven't noticed anything other than the hiss. Although I don't think I've used the headphone input for anything since installing iOS 5.
dalerussell

Post by dalerussell »

Thanks Anorton. Just for comparison sake, I am running iOS5.0.1 as well.

You could see the click on the waveform if you zoom in - it definitely spikes. The regular hiss is very uniform and then... 'click' :(

One other factor - my iPad is a 16g 3g model. As was the work one I tested with the same issue. My brothers iPad is a 64g wifi - no clicking noise.

Maybe the 3g component is causing the interference? I still have the issue when in airplane mode which I figure would kill all 3g activity. Then again, maybe its something with the circuitry or 3g components itself. That might explain the regularity of the sound (every 30 secs or so).

Then again, if 3g was the issue, I'd expect a similar problem with my iPhone 4s but its clear as can be.

I appreciate your feedback and help. These things can be frustrating ($700+ frustrations are costly frustrations too! :)
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I hesitate to use the word "interesting" as I understand your frustration. With that said, my iPad is also a 64 gig wifi. There seems to be something to your theory about the 3g perhaps being the culprit. I suppose it could also have something to do with number of gigs. I do hope you are able to get all this sorted out and back to music making. Good luck.
Akamarko

Post by Akamarko »

I believe I may be having a similar issue accept with me it's with the irig guitar adapter from IK Multimedia. When recording I will usually practice a few goes before actually recoring and every once in a while I hear a crackle noise, similar to if the audio cable had an intermitent break in it or something. Tried another audio cable and the same deal. It almost sounds like it's on a cycle of sorts. i haven't actually tested it out, I simply dismissed this as poor quality cable or iRig adapter not being too good a product. I haven't really picked out the noise during recordings because there is usually plenty else going on to drown it out.

Oh, I should mention I'm on iPad 2 os 5.0.1
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Here is something to try, download the iPhone Configuration Utility from apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1465

And watch the console while the clicks are happening. It might give some clues about whats happening.