Backing up tracks - explanation for dummies requested

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Nicknada

Backing up tracks - explanation for dummies requested

Post by Nicknada »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, new to Harmonicdog DAW, and am a technical dummy, so hopefully this question isn't too annoying. I just recorded three songs on my iPad 2 using a Griffin iMic, the iPad camera connector kit and a Behringer 1202FX mixer, and I'm *very* happy with the results. (My previous experience with home recording was with a Tascam Portastudio analog four track, and the 2002 version of Cool Edit Pro, so this shouldn't be surprising).

Anyway, now that I have some multitrack sessions recorded that I'm really happy with, I'm freaked out that my iPad is going to get stolen/broken and my songs-in-progress will be lost, and I want to back up the individual tracks (not just a mixdown of each song). From what I understand after reading other posts, syncing the iPad to your computer *does not* save DAW tracks, correct?

What exactly do I need to do to save individual DAW tracks, as well as the "session files" (in Cool Edit parlance) for each song? As mentioned, I'm recording on an iPad 2, and would be backing up to a PC laptop via wi-fi.
pwnified

Re: Backing up tracks - explanation for dummies requested

Post by pwnified »

An iTunes back WILL back up all multitrack song projects. So if you do regular backups you wont have to worry.

Another way is to use Wi-Fi and connect to multitrack, for each song, you can download a project zip. This project zip contains everything it needs to reproduce the project, which you can file away or you can upload it to another running multitrack.
Nicknada

Post by Nicknada »

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I saw that syncing the iPad to my laptop backed up the app itself, but couldn't tell whether the actual multitrack projects / files were backed up as well.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Syncing won't do a backup, but you can control click on the device and select "Back up". This will backup all your data and all the multitrack songs. Backups are also done when updating the iOS software.
Akamarko

Post by Akamarko »

pwnified wrote:Syncing won't do a backup, but you can control click on the device and select "Back up". This will backup all your data and all the multitrack songs. Backups are also done when updating the iOS software.
that's a very important clarification, thanks for this. Like many I assumed at first you meant from a sync session. Makes sense that you need to run a true "Back Up" from itunes.