dirty signal with tascam us-800 ?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Zook250

dirty signal with tascam us-800 ?

Post by Zook250 »

hey guys,

i just recieved my us-800 and it is great except that i have one major issue with noise. i dont think it is the mixer itself because the signal is clean until i arm the tracks for recording, then i get the unwanted static noise.

i have upgraded the operating system on my ipad, the input and outputs are set within the proper range. the mixer is not clipping. when a track is armed the noise is there immediatley, and as soon as i disarm the track it disapears.

anyone else encounter this problem.

thanks
pwnified

Re: dirty signal with tascam us-800 ?

Post by pwnified »

There might be some issues with iOS 5.0.1. Please let us know exactly what version you are running, and more about your setup, how are you monitoring, and where are your headphones plugged in, to the tascam or the iPad? It looks like some synchronization is being lost with iOS 5.0.1. I'll have more in a bit after I run some tests.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Do you have Input Monitoring turned on in the menu of multitrack?
Zook250

Post by Zook250 »

Thanks for the response,

The operating system is iOS 5.0.1. Input monitoring is set to on. auto input is on. I am monitoring through the us800 headphone output jack. There is no output from the iPad headphone jack when the us800 is connected via the apple camera connection kit. Should there be? I can hear the signal cleanly when the arm button is off, the volume level is lower at this point, the signal is purely through the mixer.when I arm the record button, the volume changes to the level set on the main input slider (either louder or quieter depending on the position). At this point the static noise is prevalent, it does not matter where the input or output sliders are positioned, the noise occurs when I play a note. When I play back recording, the static noise is part of the recording.

Thanks for your help

Curt
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Ah yes, this is because you have two forms of monitoring at the same time. The Tascam has hardware monitoring already on, and when Input Monitor is selected in the menu of multitrack, this is also software monitoring. You must turn off one or the other. To turn off the tascam monitor, you have to use their software unfortunately.
Zook250

Post by Zook250 »

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back. I assume that the tascam will retain any setting changes?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Zook250 wrote:I assume that the tascam will retain any setting changes?
It doesn't, unfortunately. So that necessitates the use of at least a laptop and if you have to lug that around, you may as well use it also to do the recording. So, the best way is to turn off software monitoring in the menu of multitrack, and just use the direct monitoring from the mixer of the tascam. You don't get effects while monitoring, but on the positive side it's direct monitoring with zero latency.
Zook250

Post by Zook250 »

direct monitoring seems to work o.k, still has crackling ,but it doesnt affect the recording. i have to disconnect the mixer from the ipad when listening back to the recording from the ipad phone jack, as around 40-to 50 seconds everything goes to crap and then there is a ton of latency and i have to reboot the ipad. when disconnected this doesnt happen.

on the road this weekend , gonna try some jaming in the hotel room with the guys and see how the recording turns out.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

direct monitoring seems to work o.k, still has crackling ,but it doesnt affect the recording
If direct monitoring has crackling, there must be something else wrong with the system (mics, tascam, interference, ground loops, etc)
Zook250

Post by Zook250 »

i think its the ipad, when i remove the ipad, the monitoring becomes crystal clear.