iPhone 4

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Trombophonic

iPhone 4

Post by Trombophonic »

So I broke down and got an iPhone 4. Unfortunately, my Alesis Protrack doesn't seem to work with it. I'm guessing that it has the same dock port as the iPad. Does anyone have ideas on how to make it work, or if not, is there another device that will give me XLR inputs? Worst case scenario is that I dedicate my 3gs as a recording device, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. Any advice is appreciated.
fgrittner

Re: iPhone 4

Post by fgrittner »

Unfortunately, the ProTrack will not work with the iPhone 4 dock connector. You will have to use your 3gs with it. From what has been reported there is no USB audio with the iPhone 4 dock connector (unlike the iPad), so there appears no way to get XLR-connected microphones into the iPhone 4.
yep

Post by yep »

Headphone jack works for various cables made for that on iPhone 4 - see end of thread here - http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=135
Trombophonic

Post by Trombophonic »

Man, that's disappointing. Thanks for the replys.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Has Apple decided to take their iPxxx devices out of the audio and music market? I am thinking the next iPod will lack any audio at all - but it will be very shiny.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

LOL. On one hand, they stir the economy by forcing us to buy new equipment. But in this case, there is no alternative way to get sound into it, at all. Think of all the car companies with the iPod docs and whatnot. I'm not fully against apple removing the analog line in and out, if they provided the USB solution like on the iPad.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

The iPhone 4 still has stereo analog out on the doc connector, just no input. And the USB master intputs that replaced the analog inputs (as on the iPad) are disabled. I ordered my iPhone 4 and new Blue Mikey assuming they would work together. Now one of them has to go back. Not sure which one at this point.

This is very disappointing as it significantly reduces the value of the recording apps for the iPhone to toys instead of something quite useful. Maybe that was the point, I don't know.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

There will eventually be USB mics for the iPhone 4. But it's still unclear whether or not theres going to be a generic connector (similar to the Camera Connection Kit for the iPad). So the question becomes, do we want to keep buying mics that might end up being obsolete? Heres hoping for a USB connection kit for iPhone 4.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

The other problem with USB style hardware for the iPhone is whether it's generically supported by the system. If it's only supported using drivers from the hardware manufacturer, then it probably won't work with any other apps.

An example: Line 6 has produced a midi interface for the iPhone. They also have their own software which acts as a simple midi recorder.

There's lots of folk making iPhone sequencers who could really make use of a midi port. But Apple limits hardware to only be usable with that companies drivers and software. So at the moment it looks like no-one else is going to be able to make use of this interface, unless they do a deal with Line6 to publish it to the app store under Line 6's name.

If this was the same for a USB iPhone 4 audio interface it would obviously suck!!
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The nice thing about the usb solution used on iPad, was that it used the class compliant spec, so forced the hardware to shape up. Apple has been forthcoming with this information, and expressed a desire to keep it that way. I would fathom a guess that any usb solution for the iPhone 4 will remain class compliant.

The line 6 product definitely uses their proprietary API's, and you're right, Apple disallows other developers from using it unless developed in house. The iAudioInterface and the Sonoma Guitar thing, on the other hand, will still work using the standardized line in and line out on the doc connector. However, other apps not developed by the same company will lack the hardware control over the devices (switching high-z/low-z, changing SPL levels etc.) It is still unclear whether the devices will remain in the "last set state" though. So maybe it's possible to use a sonoma app to change the high-z switch, shut it down, and start up another app and have the settings retained.