iPhone 4

How to use MultiTrack DAW
anfirmor

Re: iPhone 4

Post by anfirmor »

As a recent purchaser of the iphone 4 I find this situation extremely frustrating. I can understand to some extent Apple, in effect, moving the A/D's out of the phone and replacing the analogue inputs with a USB port but to leave it un-implemented is poor. Multitrack DAW is a super app but it's functionality is greatly impared for iphone4 users. The mic input is not really up to the task due to the LF roll off, signal level and crosstalk issues. It's not just muso's who are screwed but anyone who wants to do field recording of any type (interviews, nature, ect.)

After much browsing I still wonder about the following:-

Does the iphone 4 actually have the hardware USB port for external A/D builtin the phone? I can't find any pinout information for the iphone 4 dock connector anywhere to try and confirm this.

If the hardware is present does this mean that Apple have newtered functionality in the phones firmware?

Has there been any rumblings or attemts to get this sorted out by Apple or anyone else

I think Apple are wrong in their approach here. The iphone 4 is seen by many of us to be the best multi function device available to date and yet isn't. Perhaps they have a lot of ipads to sell.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The doc connector on iPhone 4 and iPod 4 does contain a USB digital connection, and one company (StudioSixDigital) has announced a future product. If anyone hears any anouncments on iPhone 4 microphones, please post it up.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Thanks again pwnified.

At least the hardware is capable and that's kind of encouraging. Hope Apple get it together soon on this one. If I were a manufacturer of third party iphone hardware I would think very hard before wasting R&D on gear that has it's market killed off in this way. Here's hoping Apple release an ios that enables the port for generic 44.1kHz 16 bit USB codecs. That would open the flood gates but I suppose it it so much easier for apple to keep a tight hold over any digital interfaces, unlike old analogue line in.

fingers crossed.