hardware that doesn't work

New Features and requests for new features
malagodi

hardware that doesn't work

Post by malagodi »

Let's start a list of hardware that MT doesn't support...

1. Tascam MK144
2. Motu 4Pre. (had my hopes up, this is a great unit, dual Firewire/USB ports, 4 mic pre-amps, 4 line ins, spdif i/o, etc... I'll use it on my Mac Mini when in small clubs, but I had hoped it would work on the Ipad.)

I just don't understand why the i/o is so restricted on these devices.
Zoomer

Re: hardware that doesn't work

Post by Zoomer »

malagodi wrote:I just don't understand why the i/o is so restricted on these devices.
AKAIK, for iOS it has to fully support USB Core Compliant specification which is a firmware based construct embedded in the device. In fact there are several versions of this spec, though I'm not sure which if not all are iOS compliant: some older USB Core Compliant interfaces don't work properly either and some do. But that could be implementation errors in the firmware of the problem ones that manufacturers are just abandoning.

Not many hardware manufacturers bother with USB Core Compliance because many things are easier handled and updated for most of their sales (non-iOS) with the more popular traditional ASIO, AU and WDM driver models, and iOS audio is just becoming popular now. Don't forget that the CCK stands for Camera Connection Kit: despite its success in other areas, it was never really officially approved for any other use.

There's currently no audio hardware control exposed to the user via iOS, so every dev has to manage this themselves. Maybe things will change as iOS audio gathers more momentum and we'll see both more compatible hardware and more system wide Core Audio driver development and access.