Audio file distortion when uploading...

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Niv

Audio file distortion when uploading...

Post by Niv »

I have been trying to upload a drum track I recorded in Adobe Audition 3. It was saved as a WAV at Stereo 44.1/32bit. I created a project in MultiTrack and via Wifi uploaded the file using the "Upload Audio Bin" function. Once I get into the project I then create a track and view the BINS via the menu.. copy then paste it into the track.

Problem is something is happening to the audio during the upload. It's horribly distorted. I listen to it via the BINS menu and after pasting it into a track and it['s the same. The WAV on my computer is fine, clear as a bell, perfect recording.

What's gonna on?
pwnified

Re: Audio file distortion when uploading...

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, that sounds like a problem with the conversion between bitrates, I'll look into that. You could try saving the wav in adobe audition as a 16bit format. That might end up being the workaround for now, I'll let you know.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I tried saving a wav file in Adobe Sound Booth on mac, as wav 32bit and it worked when uploading into MultiTrack. The issue you are having might be related to byte ordering. Are you on a windows machine? If so, can you send me a short wav file that demonstrates the problem?
Niv

Post by Niv »

Sorry for not replying faster, just been busy with work. I actually already have the files located at http://www.ineyevee.com/misc/multitrack/

"Track 1_004.wav" is the original Adobe Audition WAV.. and "Track 1_004_BAD.wav" is the wav after I upload it to Multitrack.

These files aren't small however I had put them here for a friend to trouble shoot with. If you need a smaller sample I'll have to do that a lil later.

Thanks for looking into it. I really dig this App.. and if I can manage to get this to work I'll be in love with it. lol

And Yes I'm using Windows 7.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

OK, heres the deal. That wav file is a 32 bit floating point format file, which explains why the 32 bit integer file I made worked. I tried playing back your file by visiting that link using Safari on my iPad, and got a message about invalid formats. So that didn't exactly fill me with confidence. I managed to fix the problem in MultiTrack so that it can handle floating point wav files for upload through wifi, and when dropped into the iTunes shared folder. However, the preview button doesn't work in the Bin Browser (shared tab), because I'm using the Apple supplied libraries to play the previews. The same way it doesn't work in the web browser. And I wont be able to fix the preview either, but I'll file a bug report with Apple about it. So it all works, just not the preview in the Shared folder. Once it's copied to a track, the Bin Browser Song tab will be able to preview it though.

Also, this fix wont be in the next update, as 2.0.6 was already submitted, and I'm hoping to not have to do anymore point releases until 2.1 is ready. So unless a major bug comes up, this update will have to wait. In the mean time, you could upload 16 or 32 bit integer instead of float.

Great drumbeat by the way :)
Niv

Post by Niv »

Coo man, I had at one point thought about the float and just hadn't got around to trying a 16bit. So coo I will try that then for now. And thanks for spending your time checking into it. Much appreciated. I do love the app.. it's actually been great for renewing my interest in recording. Just don't have time like i used to and having an ipod in my pocket with the Multitrack app on it makes it a bit easier to make time. It is, by the way, the only app i have actually paid money for.. i stick to free apps mostly, but i just had to try this one out. Thumbs up. Money well spent. Thanks again. :D
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

32 bit floating point wav import is now supported in 2.0.8, but you still wont be able to preview until after the import (copy)
Niv

Post by Niv »

Dude, I love you. Thx so much for this app!