InstantDrummer

How to use MultiTrack DAW
digitalpost

InstantDrummer

Post by digitalpost »

I was hoping to use InstantDrummer audio-copy paste into MT, but MT does not show up as a supported app to paste into from InstantDrummer?
Any hopes of support for it soon?
Reverb/ Delay is big on our wish list! Great work on this app!
pwnified

Re: InstantDrummer

Post by pwnified »

The new version of AudioCopy 1.1 should handle the BeatMaker format (which is what MultiTrack uses). But it looks like Sonoma has not updated their apps with their own api's.
groovedaddy24

Post by groovedaddy24 »

Interested in knowing if ID can paste into MT also, do we know if it works (yet)?

I'd rather use MT anyday but also really like the ability ID gives me to have quick real/live dloops to build and write to without having to open my laptop and drop loops.

thx
LoveChild

Post by LoveChild »

groovedaddy24 wrote:Interested in knowing if ID can paste into MT also, do we know if it works (yet)?

I'd rather use MT anyday but also really like the ability ID gives me to have quick real/live dloops to build and write to without having to open my laptop and drop loops.

thx
groovedaddy24,

I have found that ID works perfectly with MT! I use ID for all of my quick and dirty backing drum tracks! Just lay down your ID track, then copy it and paste it right into a new track in MT. Works like a charm for me! Makes for a really clean and tight backing track in MT. :)

LoveChild
groovedaddy24

Post by groovedaddy24 »

Sweet!!!!

Thx for confirming that LoveChild!
LoveChild

Post by LoveChild »

My pleasure... I hope it works as well for you as it does for me!
Hawaiisurf

Post by Hawaiisurf »

Will easy beats work?
Can a gone provide me with the easiest way to get drum tracks that are either samples or tracks you create?
Mahalo
I'm looking for the most affordable or free options until I can drop twenty bucks on something good. Right now I'm just getting familiar with multiple track and it's relation to other apps.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

Hawaiisurf wrote:Will easy beats work?
Can a gone provide me with the easiest way to get drum tracks that are either samples or tracks you create?
Mahalo
I'm looking for the most affordable or free options until I can drop twenty bucks on something good. Right now I'm just getting familiar with multiple track and it's relation to other apps.
If you have an iPad, the drum loops and SmartDrums in GarageBand ($4.99) are very useful, sound very good, and are easy to use. Just email them from GarageBand to yourself and open the attachment in MultiTrack.

I've also had a lot of fun with InstantDrummer as well. I've combined 3 or 4 different InstantDrummer apps using multiple tracks in MultiTrack. Here's link if you'd like to hear how they sound.

http://soundcloud.com/anorton/me-and-bobby-mcgee
Hawaiisurf

Post by Hawaiisurf »

Thanks for the info! I'm excited I have an iPhone, my first iPhone ever. I am a musician who has been playing for ten years since I was fifteen. I have owned every type of 4 tracks 8 tracks and sixteen tracks. Digital and analogue alike over the past eight years. I bought my first analogue four track two years after I started playing but I never owned a computer for music recording over the years. So to get this phone without knowing this was possible was amazing and now I'm excited to really explore the capabilities of recording my original music by recording my own vocals, bass and guitar while using a drum track from another app. Can someone please advise me on the best possible setup to really have everything I need to record quality from my living room while having lots of control over the editing without it being to complicated.
I need a list of the top apps, aop apps that I will néed to properly record and mix/edit.
From what I've gathered you folks seem to have like five apps that work together through copy/paste.
One thing I should mention is I don't have wifi.
Can someone break it down app by app and how they work together?
Mahalo!
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

Hawaiisurf wrote:Can someone please advise me on the best possible setup to really have everything I need to record quality from my living room while having lots of control over the editing without it being to complicated.
Mahalo!
For guitars and bass, I use the AmpKit app by Agile Partners. It really sounds good. This app has copy and paste and a bunch of cool features like reamping your recorded guitar parts, lots of amp/cabinet/pedal/mic combinations. They have a free version that you can build up with their "gear." They also sell bundles at a pretty good discount. AmpliTube by IK Multimedia is another very good sounding amp/pedal sim app. It's not as versatile as AmpKit, but I tend to use it more because I like the clean and light distortion sounds better. AmpliTube doesn't currently have copy and paste but you can email your tracks to yourself and open them in MultiTrack. To get your guitar signal into your phone, you'll need an interface. You've probably checked these out already, but here is the link to the input and microphone thread:

http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6

I use the AmpKit LiNK (requires 2 AAA batteries) because it does a very good job of controlling the crosstalk. I'm going to get something like the Apogee Jam eventually because the LiNK is still a bit noisy. I also have the iRig because I got it when there wasn't anything else, but I never use it for recording anymore because the crosstalk is pretty bad. I do use it for practicing. I have a feeling that most of these music apps are going to bring out even more bells and whistles after iOS 5 is released! Be prepared to spend at least $20 on each if these guitar apps. If you're anything like me, you'll want everything they have. The AmpKit LiNK will cost anywhere between $20 and $30. Not cheap, but for what you get, it's not a bad price. I do think the guitar interfaces are seriously overpriced, especially the iRig.

I'm using InstantDrummers, which are like $3 apiece. They can add up too, but I really like them. I bought BeatMaker 1 ($10) and had to download some free acoustic drum kits because BeatMaker doesn't have any drum kits that I found useful. It has lots of modern electronic drum sounds and loops. I also got tired of dealing with the sequencer. I didn't buy BeatMaker 2 ($20).

I have DrumTrack8 ($5 or $6), which I used on a few of my first recordings, but I found it annoying to program and not very intuitive. Some forum members have said very good things about it.

I also have BeatStudio. I'm not that crazy about the sounds; they're just OK, but it works, it's easy, and it's only $3. It has some nice percussion sounds. I've actually downloaded a bunch of DrummerTracks from IK Multimedia (they were half price and I got 3 for 1 because of a promotion they're running). They sound great, but I wouldn't buy them at the regular price.

I also really like ThumbJam; although I don't use it for drums. I love the string sounds and the layout is very intuitive.

I'm typing this on my iPod touch , so it's difficult to proofread. I'm not sure how thorough I've been. I think I've covered the guitar and drum apps I've been using.

As far as how to use them, I'm still learning. I record my vocals and acoustic guitars directly into MultiTrack. I copy vocal tracks into AmpKit and AmpliTube for reverb and delay, but I think MultiTrack will be able to those effects after the release of iOS 5. Everything else is imported via copy and paste or email. All editing takes place in MultiTrack.

That's all I can think of. Let us know if you have any more questions.