Using iphone instruments to record into DAW

How to use MultiTrack DAW
yep

Using iphone instruments to record into DAW

Post by yep »

Any suggestions on how to record from another instrument in the iphone into a track in DAW?
Programs like nlog, thumbjam, pocket organ c3b3.

Would I have to record them to an external source then import them?

What about monitoring the DAW track while you lay the iphone?

Thx for the help!
fgrittner

Re: Using iphone instruments to record into DAW

Post by fgrittner »

Use the line out from the headphone jack into an input of your computer sound card. Set up an audio track in your DAW that has the appropriate input source and monitor through the speakers of your rig. Hit record and play your instrument. I have done this using Thumbjam.
yep

Post by yep »

Would this allow you to play the track & record at the same time?

Don't see how you could be in both apps. Thx.
ViBRATiONLANDER

Post by ViBRATiONLANDER »

If I may be so bold, I think fgrittner's suggestion is to use two devices...one playing thumbjam (or any app), the other recording the performance using multitrack daw.
yep

Post by yep »

OK - cool.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

I use both Nlog and ThumbJam with Multitrack DAW, and they work fine with copy/paste. No, this method won't let you hear the backing tracks as you perform new tracks. For now, I keep everything in a common tempo and key, and make pieces that fit together pretty well.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to hear background tracks as you perform new ones. With ThumbJam, you can paste in a backing loop and improvise over that. Beyond that, I think IOS4 will allow actual multitasking, if the app developers keep up. I'm not ready to update past IOS 3.12 yet, due to all the bad things I hear about newer versions. You have to be cautious with Apple, because there's usually a longer list of features they strip out, than features they add.
yep

Post by yep »

Thx -

I figured out how to make Thumbjam work well - just mix down your working track & sync it to your phone. Then go into Prefs where you can play any song. Play your track & record the session in Thumbjam - then copy/paste into DAW & you're good to go!