Play and Record simultaneously - same Device

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Photonbeam

Play and Record simultaneously - same Device

Post by Photonbeam »

I installed an app called Backgrounder on my jailbroken iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 which allows me to start recording with MT DAW then open an instrument app and play it while recording. Works great.
jorgren

Re: Play and Record simultaneously - same Device

Post by jorgren »

Is this the same as IOS 4.0 multitasking capability?
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

No, it only works with a jailbroken iPhone/iPod touch. I don't know about the iPad. You can't get the backgrounder app from iTunes; I think you get it through Cydia.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

It works with the iPad as well. Backgrounder also works quite a bit differently than native iOS multitasking. It doesn't require that the application be multitasking aware/ready, it just leaves it running in the background doing whatever it was doing when it was the foreground app. Native iOS multitasking is generally more of a "quicklaunch and save my place" type of service. They each have advantages and disadvantages, but that's a discussion beyond the scope of this forum. =)

In terms of using it with MultiTrack, I haven't had much success in doing anything useful with Backgrounder. Most of the time, launching another audio app stops MultiTrack recording. I did get it to work if I was just using the iPad speaker and mic, but obviously the sound quality left a bit to be desired.