Import stereo tracks

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Honeycroft

Import stereo tracks

Post by Honeycroft »

I imported a stereo file from nanostudio and all was well. Then I went back into nano , made some changes and now when I paste file into multi track- it coverts to mono track.

Does anyone know why? I could maybe understand if I never had a stereo track before.
pwnified

Re: Import stereo tracks

Post by pwnified »

Pasting a stereo file onto a mono track will convert to mono, and visversa. The number of channels in a track is determined by the first region to be pasted or recorded onto a track. After the track has established number of channels, all pasting to a track will be converted to match the track.
Honeycroft

Post by Honeycroft »

pwnified
thanks for the reply but what you say isnt true. my first track had a stereo drum track (imported). but now when I import another drum track it converts to mono.

it would be good if there was the option of choosing mono/stereo.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Are you importing the second clip onto a mono track, or are you sure the source is a stereo source? MultiTrack "Should" only convert a stereo clip to a mono clip if the destination is a mono track.
Honeycroft

Post by Honeycroft »

i have no idea if a track is set to mono or stereo or if the file i paste from nanostudio is mono or stereo. but now the imported track comes up stereo.

very hit n miss.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Well, in MultiTrack the number of channels in a track can be determined by looking at the VU meter for that track. An empty VU meter indicates that the track has no regions yet, and is able to accept stereo or mono. After the first region is recorded or pasted, the VU meter should change to reflect the number of channels in that region. At this point, the number of channels for that track is "Set" and now any recording and pasting of regions must match. Recording of nonmatching channel configurations should not be possible. But when pasting nonmatching channel configurations, there is a feature to munge the channels into the tracks format (stereo to mono or mono to stereo). However, whenever MultiTrack converts the number of channels it will issue a message "Warning: Stereo converted to Mono". If you don't see this message, then no conversion has taken place and the source matches the destination. If you do see this message, then the track already has it's number of channels set (by having a region already in it). If you come across a case other than described above, please try to document the steps to reproduce it. (MultiTrack has been tested extensively, but is not immune to bugs, anything is possible)