Reverb/Delay

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Anorton

Reverb/Delay

Post by Anorton »

Can anyone recommend an app that will add reverb? I just purchased NanoStudio, which has opened up many new possibilities, but doesn't provide a convenient way of adding reverb to vocals recorded in MultiTrack. I'm only able to get 2MB samples at a time from NanoStudio to the pasteboard. It should be 8 (mono) and 4 (stereo), but it's not doing that for me.

Has anyone tried Reverb? The reviews aren't too kind, but I've come to trust what I read in this forum. ANY recommendations would be appreciated. I'm using a 32 gig, 3rd gen., iPod touch. Thanks, in advance.
Scot Solida

Re: Reverb/Delay

Post by Scot Solida »

The reviews of Reverb may not be kind, but they are not too far off the mark... That's not to say that it might not be usable as an effect, but it isn't anything like a realistic (or even unrealistic) reverb effect. It's really more of a screwy delay effect. The reverb in Studio Track is a bit better, but still not great. Nanostudio's 4MB limitation is a drag (not sure why you have less?), and it may be necessary to chop up the tracks, if at all possible, and process the clips individually.

I actually prefer using Jasuto Pro for effects. As much as I love it, I am slightly hesitant to recommend it wholeheartedly for this application since, being a modular synthesizer, it can be intimidating (to say the least) if you are not familiar with the concepts of modular synthesis. However, if you don't mind a bit of manual reading, experimentation and the effort of wiring modules together, Jasuto Pro can act as sort of a "mini-Eventide", allowing you to create complex processing algorithms and then apply them to audio copied from Multitrack DAW and pasted into Jasuto's Sampler module. I am not sure how long the samples can be... I have applied it primarily to mono tracks, but some have been a few minutes long.

What I do is this (and there may be an easier way): I start a new Jasuto Pro project, insert a speaker module (modules are called "nodes" in Jasuto) from the I/O category and then a Sampler module from the Synth category. You can also add keyboard/trigger modules if you like, but I usually don't for a quick bit of processing. Select both modules and then use the "wire" command from the Edit menu. This connects the modules (the Sampler should be residing directly above the Speaker module (the closer they are, the louder the signal).

Double-clicking the Sampler module opens its editor. The copied file can be pasted in using the Paste command in the Sampler's Edit menu. It should start playing automatically. It will loop.

I close that module, then select a Reverb module from the available effects modules. I wire this in parallel from the Sampler to the Speaker, so that I have both the affected and unaffected signal going into the Speaker module. Double-clicking the Reverb module opens its editor and I can adjust the various parameters.

When I get something I like, I will then use Jasuto's "Record" function to record the results, which will then be automatically inserted into a new Sampler module. There, it can be trimmed, cropped, etc. You can add fades, too. Once completed to my liking, I then copy the results and paste them back into Multitrack DAW, where I will likely need to carefully align them with the original, unprocessed material (I've only ever done this with segments of tracks, not full tracks).

Whew! it seems like a lot of work, but it's actually not bad, assuming you are (or can get) up to speed with Jasuto Pro. It's worth it for me, because I like to do a lot of bizarre processing, so Jasuto Pro gives me some of the same sort of flexibility I get from, say, an Eventide. it might be overkill for a bit of reverb, though! Still, I like the sounds I can get from it, so it's worth the effort, in my book.
beyond

Re: Reverb/Delay

Post by beyond »

ISequence for ipad has nice delay, as does studio.hd for iPad, and both have enabled audio paste (still need audio copy on studio.hd though). But both those have delay that seem pretty nice.