Memory Management and Wifi Caching Questions

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Adam

Memory Management and Wifi Caching Questions

Post by Adam »

Hi Pwnified,

As always, what a great App. I use it constantly!

First I want to ask about memory management. I'm on a 3rd Gen iTouch and use Wifi to port stereo music beds (made in Ableton Live8) on to MTDAW, record two to nine tracks of vocals while walking, then port the entire project back to Live. When I port tracks back to Live through Wifi, track by track, each track preserves the length and position of the audio material, which is crucial. But it leads me to wonder if before I transfer my songs back to Live I should be trimming empty space before and after recorded vocals. I generally do so when noise is an issue, but does doing so also reduce the amount of memory used?

I am mostly concerned about memory use because more memory means more time in the Wifi transfer process. It's a bit tedious to click track 1, wait for it to transfer, then click track 2, etc. This brings me to my second question. I think you've been considering some kind of track caching process for Wifi transfer. Are you still interested in this? I'm imagining being able to press a button that downloads all tracks in a song, in numerical order and preserving the MTDAW track number, so I can do something else instead of waiting for each one to download, finish, and then click the next one. Each time I've tried to have two downloading at the same time, I find that the numbers get mixed up, or tracks get lost. I think you mentioned that you'd need to put a time delay between each track download to make this work.

Thanks for being into creating this wonderful app. I've been marketing for you wherever I can, and think I got you another sale this weekend.

--Adam
pwnified

Re: Memory Management and Wifi Caching Questions

Post by pwnified »

Yes. At first I tought about having a "download all" button, but thats a bit complex, I don't even think its possible for a webpage to have multifile downloads with a single click. There could be a javascript that continually requests the download links one at a time. But I think the best way would be to just fix the queuing so that you just click on all the download links without waiting, and it will buffer up all the requests, render them and send them out while you grab a cup of coffee.
Adam

Re: Memory Management and Wifi Caching Questions

Post by Adam »

Well, the coffee sounds like a good idea. Please enjoy some, and thanks as always. I'll look forward to a queuing fix at some point.

--Adam