What Is The Maximum Length of Imported mp3 file?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
miroo

Post by miroo »

on my ipad 16 gb wifi+3g , i want to import and then edit mp3 file which size ranges from 1 to 2 hours, but after conversion program says "can't open recorded audio" and i can not insert this mp3 in to track...

please help!
pwnified

Re: What Is The Maximum Length of Imported mp3 file?

Post by pwnified »

There is a 2 hour limit on song length. What is the method of import, Wifi, copy/paste, iPod Library access, or the shared folder?
miroo

Post by miroo »

pwnified wrote:There is a 2 hour limit on song length. What is the method of import, Wifi, copy/paste, iPod Library access, or the shared folder?
i tried import from ipod library. track was 59:40 of length. is there any solution to increase length limit?

thank you for your answer :)
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I did some more testing on this and it seems that yes, there is now a maximum import length somewhere around 40 minutes. This behavior has changed in the new iOS versions. A one hour mp3 would not import, and I tracked it to "dataWithContentsOfMappedFile" which is an apple API. So it seems that the recent iOS versions have changed the maximum size of a file that can be mapped into virtual memory. "dataWithContentsOfMappedFile" is required for the copy/paste mechanism (which is unified for external copying to and from other apps).

I'm not sure that this can be fixed. It looks like the maximum file size for import is now somewhere between 40 to 60 minutes (or about 400MB to 600MB). I'll file a bug report with Apple but I doubt they will do anything...
miroo

Post by miroo »

pwnified wrote:I did some more testing on this and it seems that yes, there is now a maximum import length somewhere around 40 minutes. This behavior has changed in the new iOS versions. A one hour mp3 would not import, and I tracked it to "dataWithContentsOfMappedFile" which is an apple API. So it seems that the recent iOS versions have changed the maximum size of a file that can be mapped into virtual memory. "dataWithContentsOfMappedFile" is required for the copy/paste mechanism (which is unified for external copying to and from other apps).

I'm not sure that this can be fixed. It looks like the maximum file size for import is now somewhere between 40 to 60 minutes (or about 400MB to 600MB). I'll file a bug report with Apple but I doubt they will do anything...
thank you for answer!
It seems, i can't finally kick PC from my life :(
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

QUOTE: "It seems, i can't finally kick PC from my life".

There is a serious problem with using the iPhone/iPod/iPad as a platform for an audio application, and that is Apple's approach to Operating System releases, hardware features and application releases. A good recent example is the release of AudioTools 2.7. It has a bug which means it doesn't work with iOS 3.1.2. If you upgraded AudioTools, you may not be able to downgrade to 2.6. If you upgrade the iOS you lose USB powering. However fast S6D release a fix to the app, Apple will delay it by weeks. This seriously impacts relying on the iPxx platform for audio work. Which is a shame, as in many ways it is very promising. But I don't see those underlying problems going away.

Dominic