Recording from other apps

How to use MultiTrack DAW
pevan10

Recording from other apps

Post by pevan10 »

Hi, I'm a new convert to Multitrack DAW and having used the old mechanical variety of multitrack I'm getting the hang of the recording via mic and keyboards. What I don't get is that given all the publicity around The Gorillaz ipad album and how he used the ipad to record using a variety of music apps, some of which don't have cut and paste options, how do you record the output of an app that doesn't any record options of its own. That is can you play a synth app and record it on Multitrack without cut and paste, or did Damon Albarn have two ipads?
Thanks
pete
pwnified

Re: Recording from other apps

Post by pwnified »

It's a good question. I think if the other app has no recording capability then the only way right now, is to do as you describe, two devices and a line out going into the recorder device.

If I can work out the kinks in a new system for recording and performing on the same device (inter app communication), all this could change. I'll post more details on this later.
beyond

Re: Recording from other apps

Post by beyond »

I've done iPad to iPad, I go out the speaker jack of one with a 1/8" cable, and have the other end go into the cakewalk usb interface (I think on the "digital in" jack, or on the guitar in using a 1/4" adapter), then have the cakewalk connected to the second iPad via the camera connection kit.

you can also do the same thing to go iphone to iPad.

FYI, while all the instruments are iPad, it wasn't truly a "all on the iPad" effort. From the credits page on the band's website:

Produced by Gorillaz and Stephen Sedgwick. Recorded by Stephen Sedgwick and Gorillaz, except track 11 with additional recording by Mike Smith. Mixed by Stephen Sedgwick at Studio 13. Mastered by Geoff Pesche at Abbey Road Studios.

I doubt all those engineers they were mastering it all on a single iPad while sitting at Abbey Road Studios. :mrgreen: