Shure X2u, camera kit, USB hub help?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
outbackyak

Shure X2u, camera kit, USB hub help?

Post by outbackyak »

Hi - first post!

I've got MT DAW for iPad, and I've also got the Camera Connection Kit, and a Shure X2u XLR-USB Signal Adapter. I'd hoped to use the X2u to conect non-USB mics to the iPad, but I've run into the dreaded "insufficient USB power" problem - although the X2u is fully functional with my PC, it simply will not work at all with the iPad and Camera Connection Kit.

I checked out this thread http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6 in which it is stated that the X2u is reported to work with a powered hub. I've also seen this thread http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=20 where the Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Hub, White http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NB ... ss_product is reported to make some devices (like the Blue Yeti mic) work properly even when the hub is not supplying power to the device, thus allowing full portability.

If this works for the X2u it would solve most of my problems as I principally want to use MT DAW for location recording with my existing non-USB mics.

Can anybody confirm if this Belkin hub will work like this with the Shure X2u? Will I just be able to plug it in any where and it's all good? Has anybody actually tried these products together and got it working, or will the X2u always require external power?

I'd just go down to a shop and try it out, but none of the hubs tested as working with this method by pwnified in the Blue Yeti thread are available here in Australia (or possibly they have different model numbers here).

Thanks!
pwnified

Re: Shure X2u, camera kit, USB hub help?

Post by pwnified »

I don't have an X2U to test, but the specs say it draws 500ma which is well above the 100ma limit. So my guess is that it won't work without a powered hub. As far as the type of hub, I would still recommend the "Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Hub, White" because of its soft-start mechanism. (Some devices draw more than 100ma during handshaking on initial connection and then drop down below that during normal use, having this hub will allow those devices to work, so it's a bit "future proof")
outbackyak

Post by outbackyak »

@pwnified: Is the "Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Hub, White" a powered hub, then? I understood it to be an un-powered hub.

Thanks!
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes, it comes with a power adapter but the magic is that you don't need it for some devices (including devices that don't work going straight into the iPad, like the Blue Yeti). Other devices do require the power adapter to be plugged into the hub, like the m-audio mobilepre.
outbackyak

Post by outbackyak »

I guess I'll get it then. Unfortunately I can't buy it in Australia, where we use 240V AC, and no doubt the US version's power supply is 110 volt. Should be able to get an equivalent 240 Volt adapter for it here if necessary.

Thanks!