Backing up tracks/songs?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
yep

Backing up tracks/songs?

Post by yep »

When you sync the iPhone, does it automatically back up the tracks/media in a song?

Is there a way to drag the tracks over via the sync cable instead of wireless?

Thx
pwnified

Re: Backing up tracks/songs?

Post by pwnified »

Well, whether a sync forces a backup is an Apple thing (it might not, to be sure you could force a backup). But I can tell you that a backup in iTunes also backs up all your MultiTrack songs.

Unfortunately the only way to get the "tracks" is by Wi-Fi. This is because the tracks don't exist until requested, and with the severely limited File Sharing of iTunes there is no way to make these requests. I hope that makes sense. Basically keeping the rendered tracks around would take up too much filespace, the Wi-Fi system can get away with it because they are deleted right after being sent. (The tracks are rendered, sent, and deleted on demand)
yep

Post by yep »

OK - thx for the info.

If you have a chance, check out the way FourTrack does it - the ONLY thing they do better imo than DAW - if you go to itunes > apps > file sharing, they have a folder of "Sessions" that you can simply copy to your hard drive with a drag & drop.

If there is any way to do sthing like that, I/we'd be most grateful! Otherwise DAW kills Fourtrack.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The reason fourtrack can do it is mainly because it's only 4 tracks, and recording in fourtrack is a destructive process. When you lengthen a song in fourtrack, all of the tracks are lengthened at the same time. So there are actual files sitting there (one for each track, all the same length) that iTunes file sharing can work with.

MultiTrack is like the polar opposite, meaning there are no "tracks" or files sitting there to be shared. Just a bunch of source Bins, and Regions. A track would need to be rendered, to get a file, and then shared.

Unfortunately, the iTunes File Sharing can only work with files, so it can't work with this abstract concept of tracks. All nonlinear daws are the same way. I thought about making the Bins accessible for sharing, but will probably wait until an open daw format can be exported (otherwise the bins are fairly useless by themselves)
yep

Post by yep »

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

DAW is of course still well worth this slightly more difficult process.