Can someone explain Ampkit/Amplitube to MT workflow?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
yep

Can someone explain Ampkit/Amplitube to MT workflow?

Post by yep »

Hi -

I would like to buy Ampkit or Amplitube to work with MT.

Can someone who has either of these explain the workflow if I have a couple tracks in MT & want to add a track via Ampkit or Amplitube? IE - mixdown tracks from MT to iTunes > import to Ampkit via XYY > rec track, etc

I don't want to buy the 4 track for amplitube or either full version until I understand how to work with them - thanks for the input!
Anorton

Re: Can someone explain Ampkit/Amplitube to MT workflow?

Post by Anorton »

I like both apps, but if I had to pick one to use with MultiTrack it would be AmpKit. I bought almost all their "gear" and am very impressed at the variety and quality of sounds I can get.

In MultiTrack, I bounce my backing tracks to a blank track, copy that to the pasteboard, paste that into AmpKit as a backing track.

In AmpKit, I go into recording mode, select my backing track and record my guitar parts. After that I copy and paste my guitar parts back to MultiTrack. Lining them up right isn't always easy, but you can move them unil they're in the right place. It helps to leave cues in your AmpKit recordings counting in with your pick on the strings. The sound wave will give you the visual as to where to paste the tracks (hope that makes sense).

AmpKit isn't perfect. You can't just play back sections of your tracks or loop sections in the track. What you can do is copy small sections from MultiTrack using the loop markers and paste those into AmpKit. AmpKit will loop the whole recording, which is nice for the short bits. Record two or three in one recording, paste into MT, and take the best parts. You can do all of it without the computer.

I've been very happy with the results. Until AmpliTube adds copy and paste, it's just not worth it to me.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I forgot to add the "re-amping" feature. In AmpKit, your recordings are recorded wet (with effects) and dry (without). This allows you to totally change the signal chain, amp and mic setups without having to record another guitar part. This a very cool feature.

Another plus for AmpKit is that you're not limited to 3 effects like in AmpliTube. You can really go crazy, which is why I purchased all of their "pedals."

The other thing I recommend is buying the AmpKit LiNK instead of the iRig for recording. The iRig has crosstalk issues while the liNK does not. The iRig sounds terrible when used with AmpKit, while the LiNK can be used with both apps.
yep

Post by yep »

Thanks so much for the info & explanation!

I guess my main hesitation on ampkit is the limit of 1 track vs 4 in the recording that amplitube provides - I usually like to double track my parts & would be easier to do the basics on the 4 track in amplitube. But I guess I could keep bouncing & lining them up.

That said, is there a "bounce" feature that I missed in DAW? Forgive my ignorance on how to do that properly. Could you explain?
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

To bounce, tap all the regions in all the track rails you want to bounce. After you've got them all selected, pull up the hotbox menu and tap copy. All your levels and pan settings will be collected on the pasteboard. Next, tap an empty track rail, bring up the hotbox menu and hit paste. ALL your regions and track rails are now "bounced" to a single track.

I forked up the $10 for AmpliTube's recorder for the same reasons you mentioned. They also have mastering feature with reverb, EQ, and compression. I've gotten some interesting sounds on vocal tracks using it, but I prefer being able to copy and paste. Don't get too excited about the word "mastering." it's not what you might think, but is usable.

AmpliTube is coming out with a line of Fender "amps" and "pedals" that will be available as separate or in app purchases as well as a vocal suite of effects that can purchased the same way. They're also pushing a condenser microphone for $60 that looks as it will suffer from the same crosstalk issues the iRig has. I won't be buying that, but the new apps look promising. I've been making periodic requests on IK's Facebook and forum pages for copy and paste. There plenty of others doing the same. They have indicated they are listening and hinted that copy and paste is coming.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?i ... nderiphone
yep

Post by yep »

Thx a ton!