Hi, new here. Irig question

How to use MultiTrack DAW
00amunet00

Hi, new here. Irig question

Post by 00amunet00 »

Hey everyone, I'm so glad I found this forum! So much info. To start off, I'm no recording guru.. so bare with me. I've been playing around with multitrack using just the mic on my phone for quite some time, but just recently bought the Irig. Everything worked fine until I tried recording my drums. I ran a microphone to a small amp, and a patch cord from the amps headphone output to my Irig to do so. I couldnt get enough volume from just the mic into the Irig without the amp. The drum track actually recorded alot better than I thought it would... but after doing that I cant hear anything from my headphones now while I'm plugged into the Irig in Multitrack. I can go to my voice memo recorder, and the same set up lets me hear back anything in there, but I've got nothing in Muktitrack.

I've armed a track, nothing, playback, nothing.. Input monitor.... but if I plug just my headphones in without the Irig I can hear. Always worked before. I even bought another Irig thinking that one malfunctioned. Same deal. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
pwnified

Re: Hi, new here. Irig question

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, the only thing I can think of is to check the "speaker out" in settings, make sure thats off. If it's on, audio will only make it to the headphones the first time the irig is connected.
00amunet00

Post by 00amunet00 »

Thanks for the reply, but yep.. speaker out is off. I dont understand whats going on at all, makes no sence to me, I've tried everything I can think of. Is it ok to run an amp into the Irig? I thought maybe I screwed it up by doing so, but the new one has the same problem... Multitrack wouldnt know the differance (?) thats why its so weird that my Irig doesnt work with it anymore. I just have no sound in my headphones, when I arm a track or play back the sound bars are all going, strum the guitar they show up... so it's getting in there, just not coming back out (unless I plug my phones directly into multitrack minus the Irig). I'll keep on it. I havnt touched it today..... maybe it'll forget? lol
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Next I would try using the apple headset, straight into the iPod/iPhone. Make sure it's still working perfectly with recording and playback.
00amunet00

Post by 00amunet00 »

I figured it out... completly by accident. I plugged in my headphones directly to the Iphone tonight and had sound, plugged in the Irig and got nothing again...pissed.., but when I picked up the phone I pressed the volume button on the side and it was completely off. So, I had the volume off... sorta... because when I plugged my headphones back in without the Irig it was at full again. ? The volume on the phone itself changes depending on what I have plugged in. I dont get it,.. but thats whats happening. Kinda dumb (maybe alot dumb) on my part but you can see why I was stumped having volume in my headphones, then not. Ah well... At least I can record again. Thanks.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Ahh, crazy. The headset volume and headphone volume must be stored separate, the iRig is classified as a headset device (2 out 1 in), whereas headphones are only 2 out. So the volume levels that iOS retains are different for these different things. Thanks for figuring it out.