Looking for itouch Multitrack Recording Info w/Harmonic Dog

How to use MultiTrack DAW
tenthirtysix

Looking for itouch Multitrack Recording Info w/Harmonic Dog

Post by tenthirtysix »

If I buy an ipod touch 3G and run the harmonic dog multi-track software on it, what kind of external microphone can I use to get a decent recording while simultaneously monitoring the other tracks as I record?

In addition, is it easy to download my multi-track recordings to itunes?

Thanks so much for your response!!!
Anorton

Re: Looking for itouch Multitrack Recording Info w/Harmonic

Post by Anorton »

Check out this thread:

http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6

I have the Blue Mikey 2,but it needs a dock extender in order to monitor with headphones. I ordered one from here and it works well. The Blue Mikey 2 will not work with an iPod touch 4th gen., so make sure you definitely have a 3rd gen. If you decide to get the Blue Mikey 2.

Here's a link for the dock extended I bought:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

With all that said, I'm using a Shure SM58 for most of my vocals right now. I purchased a KV connections iPhone XLR adapter (you can see it in the first link above) which does work well. It does have some crosstalk, but you can use a dynamic mic with it.
Erik dP

Re: Looking for itouch Multitrack Recording Info w/Harmonic

Post by Erik dP »

I just use a AV-breakout cable from an old Sony DV-cam which happens to have the right pin configuration but this might be the same configuration as other cables. If you check my post in the connector thread you can see how its done as there is a need for the Ipod to recognize that there is a mic attached.

This works well with a pro mic. I use a condensor mic with built in battery.

The crosstalk is a bit high when using the metronome (it gets recorded), so I use a radio as a headphone amp so I can use lower output volume from the Ipod. I would therefore not buy the Amplitube vendor device. The uglier Peavey device should work better as there is a built in phone amp in it.

I bought a used Ipod touch 2nd gen 32GB on Ebay. It might not work with later versions of this great DAW (I don't get payed to say that) but it doesn't have the 150 Hz low cut filter on the mic connector as the 3rd gen Ipod touch has. If I later buy a Ipad I might use this Ipod as an effect unit (fx loop/insert with the Ipad).

The Blue Mikey 2 looks perfect (good reviews on the web) but is a bit expensive considering it can't be used on later Apple products. (Cost around US$100 in Sweden.)