Apogee Jam!!!!!

How to use MultiTrack DAW
AkaManzana

Apogee Jam!!!!!

Post by AkaManzana »

Finally an universal dock connector for music input. According to the apogee website it will be compatible with the 3gs, 4, ipad, ipad2 and latest itouches (can't remember if any early itouch). I just emailed them to see if a mic could be plugged in, but so far is designed for guitars and basses.

Good news I think.
pwnified

Re: Apogee Jam!!!!!

Post by pwnified »

Its compatible with iPhones and iPads, which is very cool. So this is really the first input device that can take advantage of the digital inputs on the iPhone 4 and 4th gen ipods. Looks to be mono only.

Link to product:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

A clue at the bottom of that page:
"USB 2.0 Full Speed"

It seems we might get USB 2.0 with the release of iOS 4.3!
iPad730

Post by iPad730 »

^^^^ So does this mean we also get our 100ma back in 4.3? Man I hope so.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

This looks great. Pretty cheap, and it should be decent quality coming from Apogee!
Phil0926

Post by Phil0926 »

This thing looks like iRig and Peaveys AmpKit, but its nearly DOUBLE the price. The Ampkit is only 29.99 and iRig 39.99. And AmpKit comes with a battery to eliminate feedback and crosstalk. This just seems like some company thinking theyre above the comp and can charge double. ill pass
Phil0926

Post by Phil0926 »

ah i see it does directly into the iPad itself, not the headphone jack. Still not sure if the sound quality over the iRig and AmpKit would be worth the extra 60 bucks.
Bytebrain

Post by Bytebrain »

AkaManzana wrote:Finally an universal dock connector for music input. According to the apogee website it will be compatible with the 3gs, 4, ipad, ipad2 and latest itouches (can't remember if any early itouch). I just emailed them to see if a mic could be plugged in, but so far is designed for guitars and basses.

Good news I think.
As far as I can see on their website, it will only work on 4th generation iDevices and up, so I believe 3GS owners is out of luck...
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yeah I think they changed up their website, I remember seeing that also for some reason, might have been a typo. But it's still the first device which can work with the digital inputs on the iPhone 4, but unfortunately mono only. (Designed for GarageBand, which is also mono only).
AkaManzana

Post by AkaManzana »

Yeah, they did changed it. Im pretty sure it listed most devices when i first went to the page which was when the ipad2 was unveiled. That same day I saw the Jam on apple's store for 39.99, but now its changed. should have ordered then. :x
Bytebrain

Post by Bytebrain »

pwnified wrote:Yeah I think they changed up their website, I remember seeing that also for some reason, might have been a typo. But it's still the first device which can work with the digital inputs on the iPhone 4, but unfortunately mono only. (Designed for GarageBand, which is also mono only).
I've tried almost every multitrack app on the AppStore, and as far as I can see MultiTrack DAW is the only one to offer stereo, so kudos to you!

Also, I was curious and tried out GarageBand for my iPad, and though it has some cool features, mainly the drums for me is nice, the app seems more like a sophisticated toy than a real solution for musicians.
Especially after the recent update, MultiTrack DAW is hands down the best app out there if you're out to make music on an iPad using a real instrument.

I do have an iPhone 3GS, and would have liked a solution for that also to make a quick draft of a song on, but my iPad combined with MultiTrack DAW is hands down the best solution for me to make music on.

I use the Alesis MultiMix 4 USB to connect my mic, bass and guitars to my iPad via Camera Connection Kit, and it works a treat, and I'm real happy with the stereo option in MT DAW.