pwnified - Feedback / New features

New Features and requests for new features
phormz

pwnified - Feedback / New features

Post by phormz »

Hey pwnified …and all Multitrack users

Firstly, let me congratulate you on having developed the best audio multitrack software in the app store …I've tried a few! So, thank you very much. :D

The ability to expand to 24 tracks (which I have) is a real USP for your product. On top of that, your app is by far the most stable and I can see from your contribution to the forums that you're all about stability and simplicity rather than lots of over complicated fancy features that don't really work that well …and crash the software anyway! …Massive respect for the way you're going about developing this thing.

Although I have a studio setup where I work with Logic on a Mac, I'm also mobile a LOT of the time and am currently aiming at having the ability to create a track from start to finish entirely on the iPad. I'm using your app in conjunction with nanostudio and it's working really well so far.

I totally appreciate the work that goes into developing an app as good as this, so please don't think me too cheeky by coming up with a list of potential improvements …compiled over the last month's intensive use of Multitrack DAW. It's a fairly large list, but I've not included anything that I wouldn't use in every single song. Also, please forgive me if people have already mentioned any of these things a million times already!

1. Dedicated mixer screen: This could be accessed via a button in the transport bar at the bottom. You could do away with the output VU (if needs be) as it'd be shown in full on the mixer screen instead? Maybe you could even do away with the input VU too if the incoming signal could hijack the relevant track's VU meter when recording is armed?? Don't get me wrong, the method you have of enlarging the mixer controls, mute and solo buttons etc is genius, but can make for hard work when mixing down. Also, it's great to be able to play with the mute\solo buttons whilst looping to get ideas for the song arrangement.

2. Audio edit screen: A dedicated full screen view of a region's waveform with zoom capability to make precise edits. This would be a far better way to edit regions and would ideally include functions such as Normalise, Reverse and the usual DSP options. This also has the knock on requirement of an option to create a new audio file in the bins as a result, or apply the edits to the existing part.

3. Volume / pan automation: This would have to take place in the main arrangement screen so you can see what you're doing in relation to the track's waveform. Maybe each track could have a drop down section accessed by a button or hotbox option? It'd be necessary to be able to draw in the automation both by freehand and some kind of ruler tool for precise point to point fades etc. All of what I've described is implemented fairly well in another app (Meteor by 4pockets). This is the one and only area where I'd have the cheek to point you towards another app as an example. You may even have a better idea of how to implement it in Multitrack yourself?

4. Region repeat / mute: The ability to repeat a region several times over in one operation without having to do lots of copy / pasting …and then moving into place etc. Maybe another button in the transport bar or a hotbox option? You would obviously need to be able to specify the number of repeats. It would also be very useful for arranging a song to be able to mute any selected regions without having to delete them or mute the entire track.

5. Track colouring: The ability to individually colour regions or tracks. Even if there was just a pallette of 24 different preset colours?

6. Region copy: Currently, when a region is given a custom name and then copy / pasted, it doesn't carry over the custom name to the resulting copies. It just becomes another generic name such as "Region 24" etc. I'm getting by with just naming the tracks instead which is fine, but it would be better if the regions' custom attributes such as name and colour were copied with the paste function.

7. Slicing and joining: Slicing audio parts is sometimes a little haphazard. I really like the option you've included to turn snap on and off and this is often enough to slice at exactly the right point. However, if it's necessary to slice a region precisely, but not on a snap point, then another method of slicing is needed. The method you have of moving the song crosshair playhead is brilliant …it works really well, so maybe you could introduce an option that slices the selected parts at the crosshair? Also, it'd be really useful to be able to join regions together, which subsequently may mean creating a new audio file in the bin?

8. Song Overview: Another button or menu option somewhere to turn on a song overview strip at the top of the screen. This would always show a miniature overview of the entire song and let you jump to any point within it. A sort of song navigation device. This becomes even more useful when there's track colouring in place, as you can see at a glance that pad sound in the second chorus that you want to jump to and fade out.

9. Effects: Now, I totally appreciate this is an area where things can get complicated very quickly. I do believe that your ethos of doing less, but doing it better is very wise indeed. The fact that you've NOT invested your time in lots of average, CPU hogging effects is brilliant. The two simple effects that you've implemented so far are actually the most useful I've come across in any app other than nanostudio.

At first glance, I was disappointed with the compressor as it didn't have a make-up gain knob …but after getting to grips with it, realised it didn't need one! It works differently to other compressors I've used, but I like the results. Good work! …I would however, like to see some kind of metering to show the amount of compression being applied.

The EQ is also very useful and much better than in most other apps. There are two things I'd say are holding the EQ back tho. Firstly, the high and low knobs on the left hand side need to have a sweepable frequency control rather than fixed points. If I want to put a low cut on a bass to cut out some rumble, I need to be able to do that without removing the guts from the bottom end …and the same goes for the high. Secondly, the bandwidth controls on the low and hi mids need to go much wider …I'd say twice as wide as it goes now.

10. Undo history list: It's great that you include in the menu, the name of the function to be undone. Some apps just say "undo" and you're never sure what you've actually undone! You could take this a step further to show a history list where the user could jump back say 12 levels of undo at once to that region slice they did 10 minutes ago. The list would obviously be limited by the maximum undo level, but the ability to jump several levels in one operation and also letting the user recognise their path of actions as verification they're undoing the correct things would be excellent.

11. Song loop: Would like the the blue tint that overlays the looped section to be MUCH MORE TRANSPARENT. I work a lot with looping switched on and sometimes the whole song is blue!! …This makes selecting / moving parts quite confusing. There's already good indication of the loop points in the timebar at the top of the screen.

Again, please don't think me fussy or ungreatful for all your hard work so far. It's quite the contrary. I really believe in your app and the way you seem to be developing it. That's why I've taken the time to give you some detailed (and hopefully helpful) feedback. Excellent work, I really hope this is proving successful for you guys …oh, and thank you for taking the time to read my post! ;)

Awesome app ...Looking forward to any updates!
All the best - phormz
pwnified

Re: pwnified - Feedback / New features

Post by pwnified »

Thanks for the feedback and kind words! Most of your suggestions echo my sentiments, but I'm not sure how many features I can get to being just one person and all. I think the easy things will make it in, like loop marker transparency, region copy naming, compressor metering. Other things are more difficult because they require reworking and UI development, like a mixer screen or sample editor.

About the Slice tool, you can actually slice at the playhead as long as you open the hotbox "close" to the playhead. By "close" this means within the handle size of the playhead. This is one of those hidden features that really needs a better UI, but the functionality is there.

Volume and Pan automation is actually in the code already, but is disabled because of lack of editing features... I'll reopen this and try to work it out, thanks for the interest!

The Undo feature is still needing some basic work, like the ability to undo volume, pan, effects parameter changes, etc. After a full implementation I can think about undo lists and group undos, so an undo group will really return you to an earlier point in project history.

Glad you like the compressor automatic makeup gain, it was sort of a pain to work it out!
phormz

Post by phormz »

Thanks for your response. It's cool that you can keep in touch with your most enthusiastic users so easily huh? ...I'm certainly enjoying everyone's contribution the forums.

Oh, I totally understand that the features I listed in my first post aren't gonna arrive straight away. If any of them appear in the next update I'll be stoked ...the app is good enough to stand as it is for the moment. Going on the quality of development so far, I'm sure that when you do get round to it, you'll do it well.

As far as not having a dedicated audio editor is concerned, would it be possible to implement vertical zoom of the waveforms in the main arrange screen? ...I can imagine the pinch/zoom interface being a problem to zoom in 2 separate directions, but maybe there could be a fixed vertical zoom option that allows the selected track to be viewed over a much greater height? This would go a long way towards emulating the functionality of a dedicated audio edit screen.

Thanks for the tip on slicing at the playhead ...that's awesome! Is that in the manual? ...I must've missed it.

Totally chuffed to hear volume/pan automation is already "work in progress". Please be sure to give it some kind of graphic representation tho ...this obviously means you could draw it in and edit it later too. I've used other apps where the fader movements can be recorded (which is cool too) but there's no way of drawing it in manually or visualising what's happening over time. Great news to hear you're on it, thanks!

Yep, the compressor seems to work really nicely. Would still love to see sweepable hi and low on the EQ ...and increased bandwidth on the mids. It really would make the EQ a much more useable tool. Is that relatively simple to do?

BTW, really love the ability to hook up devices over wifi and download specific files. Works brilliantly with my iPad and iPhone. It really helps my workflow. In my case, mobile music making is all about losing the need to access a desktop computer.

Great work, looking forward to future updates too! 8-)
opoteat

Post by opoteat »

Just found this post and it looks like a very comprehensive list of things that echo what I'd like to see too. I understand being just one guy can make a list like this daunting. Volume/pan automation will add a great deal to it. Maybe using something like ReForge along side MT would be a great option. It has lots of WAV editing features that if we could copy and paste between the two apps would solve micro editing needs. I'd like to see Named Marker along with the song overview. I'm used to working with markers in my workflow and not having them has been a relearning experience. I echo what he has said about being the best. Pretty amazing that one guy can best everyone on the app store at something as complicated as a true multi-track audio app. Pretty cool. Has changed how I record and write.
Version_6

Post by Version_6 »

I agree with the above posts. Having automation is about the only thing I would really need to make this my perfect app. Hell, even if all automation were disabled during record and simply left to a mix mode to conserve bandwidth it would be great.