Single Input to Stereo Track ?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Bfuller

Single Input to Stereo Track ?

Post by Bfuller »

Using an Alesis IO dock and an i-Pad 2. When I plug in a single vocal mic XLR or 1/4 inch guitar input there should be a way to record these single input tracks to a stereo track where I can pan them. I can only get a mono track where the sound is panned all the way to the left. I'm sure there's a simple solution but I haven't found it so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like an great app and the IO dock is definitely worth it.
Bfuller

Re: Single Input to Stereo Track ?

Post by Bfuller »

It's just a regular condenser mic.
Actually, I didn't really state the problem accurately and I'm beginning to think it's not a DAW issue. When I use the ipad's mic and record without the IO dock, I get what I expect, which is a signal on mono tracks that can be panned within the stereo spectrum of the stereo outputs. For some reason, when I use the IO dock, those mono tracks are only showing up on the left output channel and I can't pan it to the center or right. I doubt there is anything wrong with either the DAW or the IO dock. I just can't figure out why it behaves differently in the IO dock.
pwnified

Re: Single Input to Stereo Track ?

Post by pwnified »

Since the input is stereo and is connected to only one mic, you need to record onto a mono track. On the Arm button is a small spinner control which should allow you to pick "Mono 1" or "Mono 2", if the track is not already stereo. Set it to the mono 1 or 2 that the mic is connected to and record to a mono track or a track that is empty.