Recording

How to use MultiTrack DAW
sincityroxx

Recording

Post by sincityroxx »

I just bouught MT for my iphone3Gs and i am using Peavey Amp Link. I have 14 Amps/CABS/ effects and mics. I start off with my amp link with a great sounding Meas Boogie amp. I arm the track and make sure input and output are good. When i hit record and record my riff, etc. When i play it back, it sound's like a clean version of what i just recorded, WHERE is the distortion sound. It is like it's not running with the amp link, but when you play before you record, it; sound's great...I just get it...HELP!!! Thank You Guy's...Marc
pwnified

Re: Recording

Post by pwnified »

Unfortunately the output of the ampkit can't be recorded in multitrack on the same device. Apple doesn't provide any way to route audio between apps. However we are working on a way that it could be done, possibly using the new Virtual Core Midi and sending audio embedded in sysex midi messages.

One way is to put a backing track into ampkit to use as a cue mix and record in ampkit, then paste into multitrack, some other people use 2 devices one for running ampkit and connecting the output with a cable to the other device running multitrack.
sincityroxx

Post by sincityroxx »

I checked on the website before i bought MT and it says that Amplink would work with this. Also iRig, and a few other interface's. That is the whole reason i purchased this app. They boast that you can upgrade to 24 tracks, for what? The whole idea is to record guitar's, bass, and so on.Are you saying that this app can only do vocal's? If my Amplink will not work, i want my money back. It say's this will work, so why does it not!!!
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Apologies for the confusion, and your disappointment. There are two things being talked about here, the ampkit LiNK hardware, and the ampkit SOFTWARE. The LiNK, the one mentioned on my site and in the input options thread, does work with MultiTrack DAW, and with other CoreAudio apps on the app store. This is not false advertising. The Ampkit software, which has all the distortion sounds and mics/cabs/etc, does NOT work with multitrack or any other software or apps on the app store at this time. The only way to record the effected output of the ampkit software is to record within the ampkit software itself, or use one of the methods mentioned above. Please contact me if you would like to discuss this further.
trowerismygod

Post by trowerismygod »

I'm sorry but I must agree with sincityroxx, in that pasting a backing track into ampkit as a cue mix and record in ampkit, then paste into multitrack is a horrible solution. Ampkit's ability to use backing tracks is very cumbersome. There are no controls to adjust anything on the backing track including volume. If you record over the backing track and paste it into MT it takes the backing track and your guitar. that takes away your ability to configure the tracks the way you want too. You can see the problem. I honestly don't see why I bought the product now. Please work on the problem asap, the app is useless to me otherwise.
trowerismygod

Post by trowerismygod »

Disregard previous posts regarding backing tracks taken with the guitar. I see where you can choose to not paste it. But really work on being able to play ampkit effects in mt, please.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes, I agree. And which is why I'm working on it. However, there are no guarantees, that it will work, that it will be approved by apple, and that the other companies will use the system. I'm trying to make an open source library that will allow it to happen, but all companies must be on board.
sincityroxx

Post by sincityroxx »

I guess what your saying is, you have to paste drum's into MT first, record guitar's in Amplink, paste into MT, then Hopefully, line the guitar's up with the drum's. That is way to much work and hassle for this app. Why have 24 track's then? For what? People aren't going to do 24 track's of vocal's? Your iphone app states that each instrument can have there own track, record solo's, ect.
How about guitar's and bass? I think everybody think's that you can record just like a real 24 track recorder, guitar's, bass, drum's and vocal's. I am very dissapointed as i am sure other's are also.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

sincityroxx-

You definitely CAN record 24 tracks vocals and/or instruments directly in MT. I do it all the time. What you cannot do, is do that while simultaneously using the AmpKit effects software.

You can plug a guitar or other instrument into the AmpLink box, plug that into the iPhone, and record while listening to the other tracks you've recorded.

Unfortunately, the effects are not built into the AmpLink box, they are generated by the AmpKit software...the app. Therefore, what you are hoping for cannot currently work. It's not a limitation of the MultiTrack software, it's a limitation of the design of the iPhone audio chain. The author of MT is trying to develop a way around that limitation, but to do that will require a lot of work plus cooperation from other software companies.

In the meantime, folks are trying to help you come up with ways to accomplish your goal, which as I understand it, is to do multitrack recording that include guitar effects on your iPhone.

At this point, the best bet is probably going to use copy/paste, as pwnified already pointed out. This works really well for me, especially since Ampkit lets you re-amp and export dry and wet recordings. I usually start by recording the song all the way through in MultiTrack, live with vocal and guitar, on a single track to give myself a reference that captures the tempo and 'feel' I want for the song. Then I import that track into AmpKit as a backing track. Next, I record a guitar part using that backing track. When I get what I like, I export that part (without the backing track) and paste it into MultiTrack on a new track. Repeat as needed.

Hope that helps.
sincityroxx

Post by sincityroxx »

How do you start a new song? I have one already, when i close it, it goes to the wi-fi screen. I can not see any way to start a new and different song? They need to put in tabs across the top somewhere. I have another recording app that has that- new-song list-notes-sync-ect. How do you start a new song. Back to the recording. You stated that you record your guitar and vocal's, paste into amplink, then copy back to MT without the backing track and do your guitar part's. What kinda guitar are you recording with the first time. Acoustic? I want the drum's on a separate track's ( centered -0- and the guitar's on 2 different track's one panned hard left, and hard right. The way your talking about, the guitar is on top of the drum's. That is how they are not really done in a studio. I think the only way to do that is to paste the drum's into MT first, then paste the guitar without the backing track into MT on different track's. I am guessing that they should line up. Comment's