Usage increase since update?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
grb

Usage increase since update?

Post by grb »

I may have misread the usage stats before the update... but since opening all projects in the updated version (wait for the opening... optimising messages...) the usage reported in iPad settings has gone up (quite a lot)...

Does the new update re-process the projects into a slightly less efficient (space) method of storage in order to achieve the new FX functionality... ?

grb.
pwnified

Re: Usage increase since update?

Post by pwnified »

The new FX bus does cause the usage to go up since the update. It shouldn't be a huge amount more, but multitrack has always used considerably more than most apps to begin with. The "optimizing" message should only come up once, when the project is opened for the first time since the update.
wmckelvey

Post by wmckelvey »

My files are almost twice the size after the iOS5 update. I actually had to delete some of my recordings.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I finally updated my iPad 2 and iPod touch 3 to iOS 5 last night. I've never specifically checked the size of MultiTrack files, but my "app" and "other" space looks to be about the same as I remember it being before the update. Curious to know if anyone else noticed a difference.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It's highly dependent on the song structure. Songs that have 1 track are the least efficient and will see a larger increase since the 3.1 update. Songs that have many tracks in parallel are more efficient and will only see a small increase since the 3.1 update.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

I noticed that MTD was up to 1.1 gig (settings,general,usage). I used the flushcaches! trick on the six projects on my iPhone and saw this drop to about 350 Mb. Doing this causes the optimisation routine to run when a project is opened again and the usage to go up. Does anyone think it may be a useful option to have a tick box in the main menu for flushcaches! on exit (maybe song specific). I realise that a project will take a few seconds to open but it may help those of us with devices with less memory.

Just a thought.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Sounds like a good feature. I guess the problem is trying to make it understandable! One thing though, Apple has implemented some kind of automatic "cleaner" which goes into your cache directory for each app, and deletes things when space starts to run out. MultiTrack will probably be one of the first candidates to be cleaned since it uses more temp filespace than most apps. I haven't seen this cleaner start up yet, but I hope it cleans the whole thing at once, otherwise a partial cleaning will mess it up pretty bad!

A lot of developers have expressed concern about this automatic cleaner, because it deletes offline content as well: http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Does that mean you could lose your work or just the cached (optimised) version of your work?
I have IOS5 on my iphone 4 but elected not to use the cloud and have it turned off - perhaps not a good idea after reading your link, but we don't all live in the perfect word of free wifi and limitless 3g.

What happens when cloud is turned off like this. Does Apples "cleaner" just blast away regardless?

It seems to me that the world of Apple is the world of control.

Slightly off topic but I've just had a very quick prod around a camera connection kit pcb with a scope. Interesting that the USB connections go straight through to the dock connector pins. The rest of the gubbins seems to be a pic (or similar) and a clock generator. The pics sole function seems to be generating a serial code which goes to the new "USB specific" pins on the dock. Seems to me that Apple have the accessory market locked down by requiring a handshake with the connected device to verify it's identity. So, while in theory a generic USB audio device should work without too much hassle it never will because it hasn't got an Apple ID and I doubt Apple will ever allow such a thing to happen.

Not in the made for Apple program, then go away!
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Control, yes. Wouldve been nice if they followed androids lead and gave a "delete caches" button for each app. Instead all there is a "remove app" button. I guess the understanding of what a cache is, is harder to explain than the implied "remove this app because it uses lots of space". Even if it's just temporary space.

You won't loose your work, when the cleaner kicks on. It will just slow down loading with the "optimizing" message. Also, caches are not backed up to the cloud, nor in iTunes.

Interesting about the doc, I thought about hacking up my fostex and see what they're doing. Also I heard ios5 beta 3 had enabled the camera connection kit for iPhone 4, and then quickly disabled it again. It may be possible to hack it up.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Ah. That's good news. Not worried about optimisation running again if the worst happens and pleased that I can safely leave the cloud turned off. I guess that Apple don't like people tinkering under the hood or knowing what they are driving for that matter.

Last thing I tried on the CCK was to lift the leg of the IC which I can see the serial packets on. Nothing happens on phone when CCK connected. Re-soldered and "device not supported by Iphone" comes back.
I think the oscillator section of the circuit is just a buck/boost to generate the USB +5V. I may dig further and trace it all out but I suspect that, not knowing the protocol used for accessory ID, would make this no more than a technical excersise. Interesting though.

thanks for the swift resonse.