Export from MT to Reaper

New Features and requests for new features
hardian

Export from MT to Reaper

Post by hardian »

Hi! It's there any easy way to export an entire project from MT to Reaper? Not a mixdown.
Thanks in advance!
PD: Sorry for my english
Thatbastarddon

Re: Export from MT to Reaper

Post by Thatbastarddon »

Via the wifi button on the project page, with multitrack running...
On your computer, open your browser of choice, type the ip adress shown in mutitrack, choose a project scroll down the page, you should see the option to download a project zip...
After you download, unzip...open reaper, find the unzipped folder with the media finder window, grab your tracks, and go...

Hope this helps,

Don
syrupcore

Post by syrupcore »

This would indeed be very handy! I looked into putting together a script to do this but didn't get very far. Reaper's project format is just a plain text file so I was hopeful. Unfortunately, the Tracks.Plist MD outputs is a binary plist - iOS and OSX's default format. The only thing I know of that will convert from the binary format to a human readable (and script parsable) format is a mac only command line utility. That'd leave it unusable for, I think, the majority of Multitrack users.

If anyone can sort out a cross platform way to parse Tracks.Plist (or Multitrack could one day also output a text/xml version of the plist file), I'm game to try to hack up an Multitrack->Reaper conversion utility.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Well, judging from the browser types that hit the web page, the majority of users are definitely mac users. But your're right, it makes sense to have it cross platform. There are some options, like libplist which is cross platform.

python works to read the project.plist:

Code: Select all

>>> import plistlib
>>> plistlib.readPlist('project.plist')
{'snapEnabled': False, 'startWindow': 0, 'rulerType': 2, 'timecodeRoute': 1, 'songPointer': 722278, 'punchIn': 88200, 'fxBusOrdering': ['DL', 'RV'], ..... etc
However the Tracks.plist (the one that has all the good stuff) didn't work. it's because the file is binary and the python plist implementation doesn't seem to support binary. When I converted it to xml using plutil, it worked. It shouldn't be much trouble to fix the python implementation.

In the worst case, a cross platform convertor could be hacked together without too much trouble. All the apple code for CoreFoundation is available:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/CF/CF-635/

But all this got me thinking about export formats. I looked into OMF (open media format), which all major platforms seem to support, but this format is total crap and I can't believe companies support it!

So what would be a good export format? Is the reaper format simple enough to be converted to other formats? Or is fixing the python plistlib the way to go?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I've hacked up a python script that parses MultiTrack songs. To get it going it had to use PyObjC (Foundation) so it's mac only right now. Source code is here:

https://github.com/pwnified/Harmonicdog-Utilities

The script (ReadProject.py) will spit out some project settings, all the tracks, regions, and bin data. There is also a decoder for the bin filenames which is used to store metadata about a Bin file.

And let me know if you have any questions, and have fun!
syrupcore

Post by syrupcore »

Wow! Thank you! Can't wait to try it out.