UCA222 iPad2 Low Playback Levels

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Dave.tenni

UCA222 iPad2 Low Playback Levels

Post by Dave.tenni »

I currently use a Beringer UCA222 USB interface with my iPad2. The UCA222 connects to a Beringer Xenyx 802 mixer IN/OUT. Recording is no problem and I generally try to leave the DAW input setting at 0db while using the mixer to set the peak input levels. However when playing tracks back via the mixer control room (head phones) output, the level is quite low - even with the DAW OUT set to +12db. This means that it can be very difficult to hear the monitored track while recording a new one. If I turn up the mixer to get a reasonable playback (control room) level then the MAIN OUT from the mixer nearly blows my ears out. If I turn down the MAIN OUT then the level is too low for recording correctly. Am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers,
pwnified

Re: UCA222 iPad2 Low Playback Levels

Post by pwnified »

Are you using the direct monitoring switch on the UCA222?
Dave.tenni

Post by Dave.tenni »

I'm actually monitoring via the control room headphones output on the mixer.
My understanding of the direct monitor switch is if you want to plug headphones into the small jack on the UCA222. In either position the switch doesn't appear to have any effect on the mixer output.

Cheers,
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Are you using the software monitor in multiTrack? (Input Monitor in the Menu).
If so, there shouldn't be any difference between input and track volume. The output should be identical if the faders are all at zero db. When recording, the track fader (on the armed track) controls the monitor level. But at zero db there is no modification.

If you use some other input monitoring like on the mixer, then I really don't know. I think the Beringer interface is all line level in/out so that might have something to do with it.