User selectable buffer size, with latency compensation

How to use MultiTrack DAW
pwnified

Re: User selectable buffer size, with latency compensation

Post by pwnified »

Yes, I've done some tests using a 64 sample buffer on the iPad and it seems to holding. Iphone 4 should have no problem. Unfortunaely the biggest gains are from going from 512 -> 256 because of the constant factor:

64 * 2 + (215) / 44100 = 0.0077 (7.7 ms)

So it shaves off a couple of milliseconds, it's useful to have as an option so I'll include it.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

64 sample buffers are now available in version 2.0.8, give it a shot and let us know (iPhone 4 and iPad only)
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

When it says iPhone 4 / iPad only for 64 and 128 sample buffers, if I select this on the 3GS, does it ignore me, or will it just fall over if the track count gets too high?

Dominic
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The higher CPU usage of smaller buffer sizes will cause dropouts and stuttering, also lower framerates for the graphics refresh. Because of the way the algorithm caches multiple tracks into one track (autofreezing) it may or may not lower the number of total tracks, depending on what is currently cached and what still needs to be cached in the background.

I'm considering clamping this setting depending on hardware model and CPU speed, to eliminate problems with improper settings.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

I've just had a chance to try 64 sample buffers on my 3GS (with iAudioInterface) and it makes a world of difference to monitoring vocal takes, a massive improvement over 256 sample buffers. Personally, I'd rather give up some of the graphics refresh speed and have the improved latency for vocal recording. I'd also happily give up drawing the waveform whilst recording, which I'd argue is not of any particular use and keep lower buffer settings. I do realise this may not fit your vision for the product, or anyone else's usage patterns. Perhaps the choice to use lower buffer settings on devices below recommended spec could be restricted to an 'expert settings' panel, with appropriate warning.

Dominic