Its Free Now. Let's Go MIDI!!

How to use MultiTrack DAW
iPad730

Its Free Now. Let's Go MIDI!!

Post by iPad730 »

Free SDK Adds Hardware MIDI Support To iPhone, iPod touch & iPad Apps
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/ ... ipad-apps/

Line 6 has released a free SDK that lets developers add hardware MIDI support to music apps for Apple iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

“With Apple’s new iOS 4 it is now possible for any developer to create MIDI-enabled applications that work with MIDI Mobilizer,” says Line 6’s Marcus Ryle. ”As an open invitation to developers, we are now providing the SDK at no charge, and are not charging any license fee or royalty.”

MIDI Mobilizer is a $99 MIDI adapter that fits into the standard 30-pin connector of an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. It can connect these Apple products to millions of pieces of classic and modern MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) gear.

Recent third-party apps for MIDI Mobilizer include MIDI Live, which provides playback and real-time modification of any Standard MIDI File song, and MIDI Surface, which can turn an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad into a general-purpose MIDI controller.

This is good news. I’m looking forward to an app that turns the iPad into a hardware sequencer and apps that add new controls to older hardware synths.

What do you think? Is this going to jump-start MIDI on iOS? And what do you think of the $$99 price for a MIDI adapter?
dominicperry

Re: Its Free Now. Let's Go MIDI!!

Post by dominicperry »

This would be very handy for NanoStudio, which I use. Not much use for Multitrack DAW unless a bunch of MIDI control features or a MIDI editor were added to it. The problem with using the 30-pin connector for a MIDI interface is that that's where I plug in my audio interface. Can't have both as far as I can see.
From a practical perspective, once I've got to carry around a great big MIDI keyboard, I might as well have my PC/laptop with me.

Dominic
pwnified

Re: Its Free Now. Let's Go MIDI!!

Post by pwnified »

Yes, it's definitely something to think about, and thanks for this news, that puts a new perspective on adding midi support. I also have in mind another product, but nothing to announce right now as it's still pretty busy getting some effects into MultiTrack. I wonder if we can get hardware control of other devices now (like the iAudioInterface input volume control, or the Sonoma guitar adapter)