iPad: Monitoring via headphns when recording from CamConKit?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
beyond

iPad: Monitoring via headphns when recording from CamConKit?

Post by beyond »

So I picked up the new Alesis GuitarLink cable, which is just a 1/4" to USB that seems to work well for getting input from a guitar, keyboard, mike, or even another iphone or iPod (with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter).

So I have, for example, an iphone running Thumbjam, giving input via the Guitarlink cable from the iphone headphone jack, in through the camera connection kit to the iPad, which is running MultiTrack, and the recording works great, basically a line in. However, when I'm recording, can I somehow use monitoring to hear the recording through the headphones on the iPad when I have input coming in through the camera connection kit?

In summary, the two (camera connection kit for recording input, and headphone jack output for recording monitoring) don't seem to work together simultaneously when recording in Multitrack. Any tips/tricks for getting these two things to work together?

Thanks!
beyond

Re: iPad: Monitoring via headphns when recording from CamCon

Post by beyond »

Pwnified, After browsing your first sticky post about input devices, etc, i think you may have already answered my question:
The problem with microphone only devices is that you can't hear any output! (yes, the internal speakers are turned off when using external USB). For this reason a mic like the Blue Yeti is a great idea because it has builtin outputs and monitoring with zero latency.
Yes, the Yeti is awesome, I have it. But it's ultimately only a mic, not a line in device as well. I was hoping that the Alesis GuitarLink would indeed be the "missing link" for doing line in of all other stuff (guitar, keyboard, drum machine, etc), and in fact it can do a great job of being a 1/4" analog to USB digital connector that can work through the cam connection kit -- you just can't monitor what you're doing against the actual recording!!!

What this means is that you probably need to mix down your tracks, export to iTunes, load it on another device (another iphone or ipad), then put headphones on that, then listen to that while you record into Multitrack on the iPad.

Definitely doable, but not really ideal! Man, I thought I finally had it with this cable, a clean "line in" solution for unmic'd things like instruments. The cable sounds great for the input, just need that monitoring capability!

Any ideas welcome. Thanks!
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Beyond,

Not all these devices work the same with the Camera Connector. I'm using a Roland Cakewalk. This can monitor both the signals in and out of MT DAW while recording. It's a little bulky, but the signal to noise ratio is excellent, so I've given up on finding something smaller. I also have tried the GTrack from Samson. Its a mic with a line in. It works, but is somewhat noisy. There are others out there that work, I just haven't tried them so I can't guarantee. There's a long thread on the forum here about what works, so you might find some answers there.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

You might want to try an m-audio mobilepre, it's a great sounding product. It doesn't have hardware monitoring, but you can use the software monitoring and latency is minimal. It has a bunch of features, high-z instrument inputs, headphones, and 2 XLR inputs (phantom power requires powered usb hub)