Reducing output.

How to use MultiTrack DAW
TimRyland

Reducing output.

Post by TimRyland »

I have a number of backing tracks I use when playing, however one is much louder than the resr. In the app I use if
I reduce it by -4db it’s around the same volume as the others.

I thought I would try to do this in MTD, so imported the track into MTD, then using edit reduced the volume by 4db using the slider. When I play it, it is defined quieter.

However, when I export it, there is no volume change, it has lost the -4db reduction, even setting the O/P slider to -4db seems to have no effect on the tracks volume when ouput.

What am I doing wrong?
pwnified

Re: Reducing output.

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, well, a mixdown will always be normalized so if that's how it's being exported that explains the volume. You could export as Stems though, with the Normalize option OFF, and the tracks will all retain their relative volume. In other words the tracks will still be normalized, but to the loudest peak in all of the tracks. So if any other track is touching zero dB then your track of interest will be -4 dB in the final file. You'll need to have more than 1 track for this to work. Let me know if this doesn't make sense 😂
TimRyland

Re: Reducing output.

Post by TimRyland »

Hamilton,

Made perfect sense. I put the track in twice, and reduced the volume of one by -4db. Exported as stems and got a -4db version stem. Just what I needed.

Thanks for your help and looking forwards to the new version.